You need permission to close a road for a street party.

How to apply

You need to apply for permission at least six weeks before the event.

Please email to request permission for a street party or event.

The organiser must complete an application form and agree to the terms and conditions.

You must apply 6 weeks before your event date.

Documents you will require

Refused applications

We will refuse your application if there are planned road works or other activities that would adversely affect either the event itself or the planned works programmed. However, we would seek to find alternative dates when the event could be held. We could also refuse if we had concerns about safety.

Road closures

It is likely that a road can be closed if

  • it is not used by a large amount of through traffic,
  • is not a bus route
  • or a priority for emergency vehicles

If you do close the road we ask you put up signs advising drivers and make sure any barriers are supervised so they can be quickly moved if required.

Barriers and signs

The closure of the road and all signs are the responsibility of the event organisers. Barriers and signs used to close the road must be easily removed to allow access for the Emergency Services. We can provide two ‘Road Closed Signs’ that you can fix to a wheelie bin. The Streets Alive, Street Party website can also provide signs. Neither ours nor theirs are suitable for use during the hours of darkness. Compliant signs can be hired from shops such as HSS or through a traffic management company.

Priority network

Some of the roads in Merton are on the priority network, it may still be possible to hold the event on these roads but you will need to contact the Network Management team by email at or phone 020 8545 3196 or 020 8545 3176


Public liability insurance cover for a small residential street party is a good idea. The costs can always be split between residents.

Risk assessment

A Risk Assessment is not normally required, but it is important that all residents consider and minimise any risks to people, equipment or the road. Thinking about how you can minimise things going wrong and having a back-up plan are vital to ensuring success. What would you do if there was bad weather? Can you use plastic plates and cups rather than glass? Have you made sure an adult is in charge of the barbeque, is there adult supervision at all times when using any play equipment?


Licenses are only required if alcohol is sold. At a private party, sharing drinks with your neighbours does not require a licence. If you did want to sell alcohol, you will need a Temporary Event Notice.


As a private party, you do not need a licence to serve food.


If your street party is a private party for residents and the music is not advertised in advance to attract people and you're not making money, then there is no need for a licence for your music, whether it's live or recorded. Make sure the music is not too loud, long or late to avoid causing nuisance to others.

Cleaning up afterwards

You will need to clean up after your street party. It's your street, your party, so keep your local area clean and tidy. Let people know in advance what time the party will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling.

Accessing the street during the party

Street Parties should not be treated as a major inconvenience as residents can still drive in and out during the session if they need to.

Stewards will ensure that all drivers wanting to drive down the road are aware that through traffic is not allowed but if a delivery needs to be made or someone is visiting, the steward will escort the driver at walking pace to their destination. 

For drivers affected by the closure it will usually only mean a small delay to journey times at weekends.  

If you do have concerns, please talk to the organisers to discuss your issues and hopefully you can reach a solution.

Impact to my business

As part of the application process, everyone within the closure area should be consulted. If you are outside the closure area, talk to the organisers about your concerns in an open neighbourly way.  

There is usually a compromise if you really need access to parking for your customers, although please remember there is no right to parking on a public highway, even for residents.  

Damage to property

In terms of damage to property (including cars), the liability situation is no different with a road closure than under normal circumstances for example. people take responsibility for their own actions. Parents will have ultimate responsibility for their own children and residents will need to resolve any issues between each other and their insurers.

Tips, advice and support

More tips, advice and support for organising a successful event can be found on the Streets Alive website​.

Coronavirus (COVID-19): guidance and support - GOV.UK (