You need permission from us to hold an event that affects the flow of vehicles or pedestrians.

There are special application processes for Street PartiesPlay Streets and World Car Free Day Play Streets. This page is about other types of events.

During such events we may use temporary measures to manage traffic and parking, working with event organisers, the police and other emergency services. These measures can include temporary one-way systems, suspended parking bays, extended waiting and loading restrictions and extended hours of operation in controlled parking zones. This helps to reduce nuisance to local residents and make sure that emergency services can access the area at all times.


  • Armed Forces Day
  • London to Brighton Bike Ride
  • Mitcham Carnival
  • Morden Hall Country Fair
  • Parades
  • Remembrance Day
  • Firework displays
  • Wimbledon Village Fair
  • Winter Wonderland
  • St George's Day

Smaller events could include:

  • A ceremony
  • A competition or sporting event
  • A convention or conference
  • A happening, performance or situation meant to be considered as art, such as a music festival
  • A media event or similar happening that attracts coverage by mass media
  • A corporate or business event meant to raise awareness of a company's brand or products and services.

If your event involves alcohol, public entertainment or late night food or drink you may also need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) under The Licensing Act 2003.

Protest marches

Organisers of public processions are required by law to notify the police before the event occurs.

Metropolitan Police: Organising a protest march or static demonstration

How to apply

If the event is to be held in two or more local authority areas then a separate application must be made to each authority.

  1. Complete the Events on the Public Highway Form. You can either type the answers straight in or print it out and fill it in by hand.
    If you have trouble opening this document, right-click it and save it to your desktop, then open it from your desktop.
  2. Assemble any necessary supporting documentation such as proof of public liability insurance.
  3. Then simply send everything to us:
    by email to
    or by post to London Borough of Merton, Network Coordination Team, Traffic and Highways, Civic Centre, London Road, Morden SM4 5DX

If you have any questions about your application you can also telephone us on 020 8545 3215.