You need permission from us to hold an event that affects the flow of vehicles or pedestrians.
During such events we may use temporary measures to manage traffic and parking, working with event organisers, the police and other emergency services. These measures can include temporary one-way systems, suspended parking bays, extended waiting and loading restrictions and extended hours of operation in
controlled parking zones. This helps to reduce nuisance to local residents and make sure that emergency services can access the area at all times.
- Armed Forces Day
- London to Brighton Bike Ride
- Mitcham Carnival
- Morden Hall Country Fair
- Remembrance Day
- Firework displays
- Wimbledon Village Fair
- Winter Wonderland
- St George's Day
Smaller events could include:
- A ceremony
- A competition or sporting event
- A convention or conference
- A happening, performance or situation meant to be considered as art, such as a music festival
- A media event or similar happening that attracts coverage by mass media
- A corporate or business event meant to raise awareness of a company's brand or products and services.
If your event involves alcohol, public entertainment or late night food or drink you may also need to apply for a
Temporary Event Notice (TEN) under The Licensing Act 2003.
Organisers of public processions are required by law to notify the police before the event occurs.
Metropolitan Police: Organising a protest march or static demonstration
How to apply
If you are organising a street party please go to our
Street Parties page.
If the event is to be held in two or more local authority areas then a separate application must be made to each authority.
Please read the
Frequently Asked Questions before making an application.
- Complete the
Events on the Public Highway Form. You can either type the answers straight in or print it out and fill it in by hand.
If you have trouble opening this document, right-click it and save it to your desktop, then open it from your desktop.
- Assemble any necessary supporting documentation such as proof of public liability insurance.
- Then simply send everything to us:
by email to
or by post to London Borough of Merton, Network Coordination Team, Traffic & Highways, Civic Centre, London Road, Morden SM4 5DX
London Borough of Merton
Tel. 020 8545 3215