Some roads near schools are closed to motor vehicles during school term time. You may be able to apply for an exemption to allow you to use the road. 

Schools and roads affected


Restricted roads

Restricted periods

Harris Primary Academy

Ivy Gardens

8am - 9.30am

2.30pm - 3.30pm

Links Primary School

Frinton Road

Gunton Road

8am - 9.30am

2.45pm - 4pm

St Thomas of Canterbury Catholic Primary School

Commonside East (access road)

8am - 9.30am

2.30pm - 3.30pm

Singlegate Primary

South Gardens

8am - 9.30am

2.30pm - 3.30pm

Get an exemption for your vehicle

Some people can apply for an exemption to allow their vehicle to use a restricted road.

Who can apply​How to apply
​Residents living in affected roads​Follow the instructions below.
Carers of residents living in affected roads​​Follow the instructions below.
​Teachers working at an affected schoolThe school will apply to us on your behalf. You don't need to ​contact us.
Parents of children with special needs who need to be driven to the school​The school will apply to us on your behalf. You don't need to ​contact us.

We ask that, if possible, carers arrange their visits outside the restricted hours.

Apply now

Residents and carers must register their vehicle with us to qualify for an exemption.

Sorry, the application form is temporarily unavailable. We are working to fix this, so please try again later.

  1. Follow this link: Apply for a permit. The link will open in a new tab so you can read the instructions below.
  2. Select 'Other' on the permit group selection page.
  3. Select 'School Safety Zone'.
  4. Once you have completed the online application, please upload the following documents:

    If you are a resident If you are a registered carer visiting residents who live in the road

    Please upload a copy of your vehicle registration document.

    If you are not listed on the current electoral register then also upload proof of residency: either two utility bills within the last 3 months, or a copy of a signed tenancy agreement, or proof of purchase.

    Please upload a formal letter stating that you are visiting in an official caring capacity. The letter must state the name and address of the individual being cared for, and the full name of the carer. The letter must be from a GP, district nurse, social services, or carer organisation.

If more than one vehicle requires exemption then you will need to make a new application and follow the same procedure.

No permit will be issued; you will receive an email confirmation that the vehicle has of the vehicle's exemptions.


During the restricted periods, we will carry out enforcement using cameras.