The national Blue Badge Scheme provides a range of parking and other motoring concessions for people who are registered blind or have severe mobility problems.
Blue Badge holders can park free of charge in any Merton disabled parking bay, pay and display, shared use bay or permit holder bay for an unlimited period.
Residents with a Blue Badge may also apply for a resident permit free of charge.
If you have a Blue Badge you should apply for a new one at least two months before your old one is due to expire.
Apply for or renew a Blue Badge
Start now (GOV.UK website)
You can also track the progress or cancel an existing application.
You will need:
- National Insurance number
- a passport photo
- driving licence number, if you have one
- details of your current Blue Badge, if you have one
Applications can take up to eight weeks to process once we receive all the documents.
Criteria for issue
This badge can only be issued if one of the following criteria is met:
- You receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance.
- You receive a Personal Independence Payment scoring 8 points or more under the 'moving around' activity of the mobility component.
- You are registered blind.
- You have a severe disability in both upper limbs, regularly drive a motor vehicle but cannot turn the steering wheel of a motor vehicle by hand even if that wheel is fitted with a turning knob.
- You have a permanent and substantial disability which means you are unable to walk or have very considerable difficulty in walking. In this case you may be asked to answer a series of questions to help us determine whether you are eligible for a badge. People with a psychological disorder will not normally qualify unless their impairment causes very considerable, and not intermittent, difficulty in walking.
Merton Civic Centre
Telephone: 020 8274 4990 - (11.00am - 3.00pm Mon-Fri)