Applying to store explosives

If you want to store up to 2,000 kilograms of fireworks, you will need to apply for a licence from the council. If you wish to store more, you will need to seek advice from the Health and Safety Executive

Guidance notes

Guidance on explosive storage and sale is available from the Health and Safety Executive website.

Application fees

Fees are set annually in legislation and will depend on the type of licence you apply for, the period of licence granted (1-5 years) and the quantity of explosives you intend to store

New licence

 1 Year2 Years3 Years4 Years5 Years
Under 250kg£113£147£181£215£248
250kg – 2000kg£193£253£317£390£441

Renewal of existing licence

 1 Year2 Years3 Years4 Years5 Years
Under 250kg£56£90£125£158£193
250kg – 2000kg£90£153£215£277£340

Other fees

Varying name of licensee or address of site£38
Transfer of licence£38
Replacement of licence£38
All year round sales licence£500

How to apply

Complete the licence application form

Payment can be made over the phone by calling 02085453025 Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm, please use your licence number or premises address as the reference.

Please make payment prior to submitting your application; you will need to tell us the period of licence requested AND the quantity to be stored

Please ensure you send a copy of your receipt along with your application, premise plan and risk assessment as required to

What happens next?

If we are satisfied with your application, we will register you. We will not normally visit your premises before granting a registration.

This registration runs until 30 September of each year, so you need to renew your registration when it expires if you want to continue to sell fireworks

Selling fireworks all your round

Generally, you can only sell fireworks to the public during the following designated periods:

  • 15 October to 10 November
  • 26 December to 31 December
  • on the first day of the Chinese New Year and the three days immediately preceding it, and
  • on the day of Diwali and the three days immediately preceding it

If you want to sell fireworks at any other time contact us to obtain an annual fireworks sellers' licence in addition to the storage licence