03454 04 05 06. You will be offered advice on your query and the matter will be referred to us if necessary.
If you think a trader may not have treated you fairly please call the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on
All traders must trade fairly, and it is against the law for a trader to:
- make false claims of trade association membership,
- claim that a shop is closing down when it is not,
- falsely state that a product is only available for a limited time
- make misleading actions and omissions (leaving out important information)
- use aggressive practices
What we do
We monitor business activity in Merton to check that it is complying with fair trading law. Examples include:
- checking estate agents' boards and property descriptions
- inspecting used cars
- investigating complaints about overcharging
- verifying descriptions of goods and services
- dealing with scams
- visiting jewellers to check hallmarking
- monitoring internet retailers based within the borough
We enforce criminal legislation and will take further action if we find something wrong. This ranges from offering advice to a trader through to prosecution in the most serious cases.
If your business is based in the borough and you need advice on consumer and fair trading matters, you can contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit the Business Companion website which covers all major Trading Standards legislation.
For comprehensive and up to date guidance on how to deal with customer complaints, refunds and returns visit the Sale of Goods Act (SOGA) hub website. All the training and promotional materials provided are available to access online or to download in a variety of formats.