To let us know if you think a business is not complying with the law on energy labelling or excessive packaging please contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline. You will be offered advice on your query and the matter will be referred to us if necessary.

What we do

Trading standards have responsibility for a number of laws that help to protect the environment. These cover a broad area including:

  • CO2 emissions – we check that new cars display the required fuel economy label at point of sale. We also ensure that information on CO2 emissions and fuel consumption are provided so that consumers can make an informed choice.
  • Energy efficiency labelling of household goods – we inspect shops and check that items such as fridges, washing machines and ovens display a label indicating their energy efficiency so that buyers know which ones cost less to run.
  • Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) – when a property is marketed for sale or rent in the UK an EPC must be produced so that the potential occupant will have an idea of the energy costs of the building. We check that the person marketing the property has complied with this requirement.
  • Display Energy Certificates (DECs) – DECs are only required for buildings with a total useful floor area over 1,000m2 that are occupied by institutions providing a public service and are therefore visited by a large number of people. They show the actual energy usage of a building. We ensure that the DEC is displayed and clearly visible to the public.
  • Excessive packaging – we are responsible for enforcing the law that requires all packaging to be minimised, reusable or recyclable.

Business advice

If your business is based in the borough and you need advice on this subject or other consumer and fair trading matters, you can contact us directly at You can also visit the Business Companion website which covers all major Trading Standards legislation.

For comprehensive and up to date guidance on how to deal with customer complaints, refunds and returns visit the Sale of Goods Act (SOGA) hub website. All the training and promotional materials provided are available to access online or to download in a variety of formats.

Related websites

Contact us

Trading Standards
Merton Civic Centre
London Road 
Tel: 020 8545 3025

Consumer Advice

The Citizens Advice consumer service provides free, confidential and impartial advice on consumer issues.

Contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline