​If you need to work on or install apparatus in the street, you will need to apply for a Section 50 Licence.

A street works licence is required by anyone who is not a 'statutory undertaker', i.e. a water, gas or electricity board or telecommunications company, licensed by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS).

The licence requires that public liability insurance is provided and that the persons carrying out excavation work in the street are qualified to do so.

Details of these works are added to our Current roadworks and traffic disruptions page.