On this page
Where you can use a Freedom Pass
You can use a Disabled Person's Freedom Pass on most public transport in London, and public buses in England, but there are some exceptions.
Who is eligible
You may be eligible for a Freedom Pass from Merton Council if you are an adult or a child, resident in the London Borough of Merton and you:
- are blind or partially sighted
- are profoundly or severely deaf
- are without the use of both arms
- are without speech
- have a learning disability
- have a physical impairment, which is enduring and substantial and has a significant effect on your mobility, or
- have a medical condition (such as epilepsy) which impacts upon your ability to drive.
Apply for a Freedom Pass
To be considered for a Freedom pass you need to download the Freedom Pass Application Form and post it to us at the address below.
Please read the application form carefully and supply all the relevant documentation. Failure to do so will delay your application. If you have any questions please contact us and we will be happy to help.
You can also request a paper copy of the application form by contacting the Disabled Person's Freedom Pass Administrator below.
Renew your Freedom Pass
Replace a lost, stolen or damaged Freedom Pass
Please contact London Councils to arrange a replacement.
Proof of residency and identity
You must provide acceptable proof of residency and proof of identity.
The following documents are acceptable as proofs of identity:
- Photocard or paper driving licence
- Passport photo page (current or expired)
- UK local residents’ parking permit
- Birth certificate
- Marriage certificate
- Asylum Registration Card or SAL
- NHS Medical Card
- Certificate of Entitlement to the Higher Rate Mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance OR Official Letter of Award of the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (If dated within the last three months, this also counts as proof of residence)
The following documents are acceptable as proofs of residency:
- Council or Housing Trust rent book
- Tenancy agreement
- Council Tax bill, TV licence/exemption letter
- Flat or house contents insurance
- Benefits or Pension book/ Utility bill e.g. gas, electricity, phone, water (must be an original) dated within the last three months
- Domiciliary Care bill dated within the last three months
- Certificate of Entitlement to the Higher Rate Mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance OR Official Letter of Award of the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement dated within the last 12 months
Freedom Passes for adults:
Disabled Freedom Pass Administrator
Merton Civic Centre
Telephone: 020 8274 4990
Freedom Passes for children:
Children's Freedom Pass Administrator
SENDIS (SEN and Disabilities Integrated Service)
Telephone: 0208 545 4810