Types of parking bay
Permit holder bays
- Only vehicles with a valid resident, business or visitor permit can be parked here. If using a paper permit it must be clearly displayed.
- In bays with signs stating that they are for "resident permit holders only", business parking permits are not valid and visitors need a visitor parking permit from a resident.
Pay and display only bays
- These are for short-term parking.
- During controlled parking zone (CPZ) operational hours, you must pay to park via RingGo or your vehicle must display a valid "pay and display" ticket (you can buy these from a nearby ticket machine).
- As a non-permit holder you can park up to a "maximum stay" limit.
- Charges for on-street parking
Shared use bays
- Motorcycles can park free of charge (no other vehicles are permitted).
- There is no parking time limit.
Find out more about
motorcycle parking in the borough.
Disabled parking bays
If you are moving house or carrying out building work you can apply to have a parking bay suspended. See Suspending parking bays and yellow lines.
Ten-minute grace period
At pay and display and shared use parking bays, you have a ten-minute grace period after the expiry time on your pay and display ticket or RingGo session to return to your vehicle. If you wish to extend your parking session you need to do this before your RingGo session expires.