Types of parking bay
Permit holder bays
- Only vehicles displaying a valid resident, business or visitor permit can be parked here.
- In bays with signs stating that they are for "resident permit holders only", business parking permits are not valid and visitors need a visitor parking permit from a resident.
Pay and display only bays
- These are for short-term parking.
- During controlled parking zone (CPZ) operational hours, vehicles parked here must display a valid "pay and display" ticket (you can buy these from a nearby ticket machine).
- As a non-permit holder you can park up to a "maximum stay".
- Outside CPZ hours you can park for free (see parking signs for operational hours or visit
Controlled parking zones).
- You cannot buy a "pay and display" ticket outside CPZ operational hours.
Shared use bays
- Permit holders can park here without paying an additional charge.
- Non-permit holders can park with a "pay and display" ticket. A "maximum stay" limit applies to non-permit holders.
- Motorcycles can park free of charge (no other vehicles are permitted).
- There is no parking time limit.
Find out more about
motorcycle parking in the borough.
Disabled parking bays
- Blue Badge holders can use these bays.
We may be able to provide you with a disabled parking bay near your house if you are a Blue Badge holder who finds it difficult to park on nearby streets and has no usable off-street parking space. Find out more about
disabled parking bays and the
Blue Badge scheme.
See all the Parking permits you can use in our bays and make sure you always check which permits are valid in a controlled parking zone (CPZ).
If you are moving house or carrying out building work you can apply to have a parking bay suspended. See Suspending parking bays and yellow lines.
Ten-minute grace period
At pay and display and shared use parking bays, you have a ten-minute grace period after the expiry time on your pay and display ticket or RingGo session to return to your vehicle. If you wish to extend your parking session you need to do this before your RingGo expires.