On this page
Please read this page carefully before visiting.
The Garth Road Household Reuse and Recycling Centre (HRRC) has some important restrictions in place. These changes will help the site run safely and in accordance with government guidelines designed to slow the spread of coronavirus.
Visiting by car without a trailer
You need to book before you arrive by car.
- You can book from 1 hour to 14 days in advance, if slots are available.
- To change or cancel your booking, please click the link in your confirmation email.
- Those without access to the internet can call 020 8274 4902 to book.
- Booking arrangements are different for vans, trailers and large vehicles: see below.
Visiting on foot or by bicycle
We are allowing residents to arrive on foot or by bicycle on a trial basis. You do not need to book or queue behind vehicles.
A member of staff will check your ID at the entrance gate, where there are special containers for your waste items. You do not need to walk or cycle further into the site.
Planning your visit
- Open to Merton residents only – You must bring a driving licence or recent council tax statement with you to prove you are a Merton resident.
- No self-isolating households – Anyone in self-isolation with COVID-19 symptoms or who has been told to shield themselves because they are particularly vulnerable to coronavirus must not visit the site under any circumstances.
- Hygiene – Site staff will be carrying out enhanced cleaning regimes throughout the day, including wiping down handrails. You may wish to bring your own gloves and hand sanitizer. Wash your hands thoroughly before and after visiting the site.
- Please treat our site staff with respect at all times. They are doing their best to keep the site open for you under difficult circumstances. Abuse towards site staff will not be tolerated and we reserve the right to refuse entry to the site.
- One person to exit a vehicle – To reduce the number of people on site, only one person will be allowed to exit each vehicle, unless two people are required to move large or bulky items safely. Site staff will be instructed to maintain a two-metre distance from customers at all times - they will not be able to assist you with unloading your items.
Last entry 30 minutes before closing time. You must have a valid booking and arrive during your booked time slot.
For cars, bicycles and pedestrians
- Open 8am to 4pm seven days a week including bank holidays, except for the following
- Christmas Eve: 8am to midday
- Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day: closed
For vans and trailers
- Monday to Friday: 8.30am to 1.30pm
- Saturdays: 9am to midday
- Sundays: closed
- Christmas Eve: 8am to midday
- Bank holidays including Christmas Day and New Year's Day: closed
What you can recycle here
Please separate your items into the following groups before you leave home to reduce queuing:
- asbestos sheets (see guidelines on taking asbestos to the recycling centre).
- batteries (household and car batteries)
- bric-a-brac, including furniture and ornaments
- cans (metal food and drinks cans)
- carpet (hessian backed only)
- cartons (please empty and flatten)
- compact fluorescent light bulbs (household low energy bulbs)
- electrical goods/appliances (including TVs, videos, PCs)
- engine oil
- furniture in suitable condition for reuse
- glass bottles and jars
- glass - plate/sheet glass
- green waste (for composting)
- hand tools (for reuse)
- hardcore, rubble and soil (small quantities – up to six bags per vehicle every six months)
- mobile phones
- oil: car engine oil and cooking oil
- paint tins (paint must be dry)
- paper (including directories)
- plastic bottles and containers, plastic plant pots, hard plastic items (but no plastic bags, wrapping film, film lids, sheets or PVC window frames)
- printer cartridges
- scrap metal
- textiles and shoes
- white goods (such as fridges, freezers and washing machines)
- wood and timber (separated into clean and dirty wood)
What you can't recycle here
We do not accept:
- commercial waste
- clinical waste includes syringes, dressings and pads
- hazardous waste including chemicals, liquid paint, tyres, diesel and petrol
Vans, trailers and large vehicles
Booking is essential if you visit in a:
- van of any size (including hire vans)
- pick-up truck
- minibus with 10 seats or more
- vehicle with side panels instead of rear windows
- vehicle where the seats have been permanently removed
- vehicle with a trailer where the combined length is less than 5 metres.
Residents in these vehicles can:
- bring up to 250kg of items over a six-month period
- access the centre up to 12 times a year.
If you are unsure if your vehicle is classed as a van or large vehicle please refer to the HMRC definition of car-derived vans and combi vans.
Vehicles not allowed at any time
Very large and heavy vehicles cannot use the site. These include, but are not limited to:
- vehicles over 3.5 tonnes max gross weight
- vehicles over 5 metres in length
- Luton style box vehicles (including any high sided vehicles)
- vehicles with more than 4 wheels
- tipper trucks or false sided vehicles
- vehicle and trailer over 5 metres combined
No compost is available for the foreseeable future whilst COVID-19 restrictions are in place.
Need containers? Please order online
Rubbish and recycling containers are not available from Garth Road Household Reuse and Recycling Centre.
Where to find us
63-69 Amenity Way, off Garth Road, Morden SM4 4AX