Please read this page carefully before visiting.
The Garth Road Household Reuse and Recycling Centre (HRRC) has some important restrictions in place. These changes will help the site run safely and in accordance with government guidelines designed to slow the spread of coronavirus.
Bookings are no longer required for weekend visits.
How to book
Booking is essential for weekday visits (Monday to Friday). Booking is not required at weekends. Anyone visiting on a weekday without a valid booking will not be allowed in. Bookings can be made up to 48 hours in advance.
Book a weekday visit for a car without a trailer
Those without access to the internet can call 020 8274 4902 to book.
- Booking arrangements are different for vans and trailers: see below.
A limited number of booking slots will be available each day to manage the queues. This will be kept under constant review with slots being added or removed as required.
Please only visit if you really need to. Our
garden waste and
bulky waste collection services are running - please consider using these instead.
Planning your visit
Self-isolating households - Anyone in self-isolation with COVID-19 symptoms or who has been told to shield themselves because they are particularly vulnerable to coronavirus
must not visit the site under any circumstances.
Opening hours for cars are as follows, but you must have a valid booking and arrive during your booked time slot:
- Monday–Friday: 8am–4pm (booking is required)
- Saturday: 8am–4pm (no booking required)
- Sunday: 8am–4pm (no booking required)
- Last entry 30 minutes before closing time.
Traffic management - Please be prepared to queue for longer than usual (even though you've pre-booked your visit). Additional traffic management will be in place - follow the instructions provided on the signs and by site staff.
Hygiene - Site staff will be carrying out enhanced cleaning regimes throughout the day, including wiping down handrails. You may wish to bring your own gloves and hand sanitizer. Wash your hands thoroughly before and after visiting the site.
Site staff - Please treat our site staff with respect at all times; they are doing their best to keep the site open for you under difficult circumstances. Abuse towards site staff will not be tolerated and we reserve the right to refuse entry to the site.
Vehicle restrictions – No pedestrians or no bikes.
Residents only – You must bring ID (driving licence or recent council tax statement) with you to prove you are a Merton resident.
One person to exit a vehicle – To reduce the number of people on site, only one person will be allowed to exit each vehicle, unless two people are required to move large or bulky items safely. Site staff will be instructed to maintain a two-metre distance from customers at all times - they will not be able to assist you with unloading your items.
What you can recycle here
Please separate your items into the following groups before you leave home to reduce queuing:
- asbestos sheets (see
guidelines on taking asbestos to the recycling centre).
- batteries: household and car batteries
- bric-a-brac, including furniture and ornaments
- cans (metal food and drinks cans)
- car batteries
- carpet (hessian backed only)
- cartons (please empty and flatten)
- compact fluorescent light bulbs (household low energy bulbs)
- electrical goods/appliances (including TVs, videos, PCs)
- engine oil
- furniture in suitable condition for reuse
- glass bottles and jars
- glass - plate/sheet glass
- green waste (for composting)
- hand tools (for reuse)
- hardcore, rubble and soil (small quantities – up to six bags per vehicle every six months)
- mobile phones
- oil: car engine oil and cooking oil
- paint tins (paint must be dry)
- paper (including directories)
- plastic bottles and containers, plastic plant pots, hard plastic items (but no plastic bags, wrapping film, film lids, sheets or PVC window frames)
- printer cartridges
- scrap metal
- textiles and shoes
- white goods (such as fridges, freezers and washing machines)
- wood and timber (separated into clean and dirty wood)
What you can't recycle here
We do not accept:
Vans, trailers and large vehicles
There are different booking and visiting arrangements for:
- vans of all sizes (including hire vans)
- pick-up trucks
- minibuses with 10 seats or more
- vehicles with side panels instead of rear windows
- vehicles where the seats have been permanently removed
- vehicles with trailers where the combined length is less than 5 meters.
Residents in these vehicles can:
- bring up to 250kg of items over a six-month period
- access the centre up to 12 times a year.
Opening times for vans, trailers and large vehicles:
- Monday - Friday: 8.30am - 1.30pm (booking is required)
- Saturday: 9am – midday (no booking required)
- Sunday and Bank Holidays: closed
Book a weekday visit for a van, trailer or large vehicle
If you are unsure if your vehicle is classed as a van or large vehicle please refer to the
HMRC definition of car-derived vans and combi vans.
Vehicles not allowed at any time
Very large and heavy vehicles cannot use the site. These include, but are not limited to:
- vehicles over 3.5 tonnes max gross weight
- vehicles over 5 metres in length
- Luton style box vehicles (including any high sided vehicles)
- vehicles with more than 4 wheels
- tipper trucks or false sided vehicles
- vehicle and trailer over 5 metres combined
Need containers? Please order online
Rubbish and recycling containers are not available from Garth Road Household Reuse and Recycling Centre.
How to get a new bin, box or recycling bags
Where to find us
63-69 Amenity Way, off Garth Road, Morden SM4 4AX