On this page
Visiting by car without a trailer
You need to book before you visit by car.
- You can book from 1 hour to 14 days in advance, if slots are available.
- Those without access to the internet can call 020 8274 4902 to book.
- Booking arrangements are different for vans, trailers and large vehicles: see below.
Visiting on foot or by bicycle
We allow residents to arrive on foot or by bicycle. You don't need to book or queue behind vehicles.
A member of staff will check your ID at the entrance gate, where there are special containers for your waste items. You will be asked to leave the waste you are carrying at the gate - this will be placed in bins and the staff site will recycle it at the end of the day. Pedestrians are not allowed access to the site.
Planning your visit
- Open to Merton residents only – You must bring a driving licence or recent council tax statement with you to prove you are a Merton resident.
- Please treat our site staff with respect at all times. They are doing their best to keep the site open for you under difficult circumstances. Abuse towards site staff will not be tolerated and we reserve the right to refuse entry to the site.
Last entry 30 minutes before closing time. You must have a valid booking and arrive during your booked time slot.
For cars, bicycles and pedestrians
- Open 8am to 4pm seven days a week including bank holidays, except for the following
- Christmas Eve: 8am to midday
- Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day: closed
For vans and trailers
- Monday to Friday: 8.30am to 1.30pm
- Saturdays: 9am to midday
- Sundays: closed
- Christmas Eve: 8am to midday
- Bank holidays including Christmas Day and New Year's Day: closed
- Maximum height of vans is 6ft 4in
What you can bring
Please separate your items into the following groups before you leave home to reduce queuing.
Items for reuse
You can bring these items in clean, reusable condition to the reuse drop-off point:
- electrical items
- hand tools
These will be sold at South London Waste Partnership Community Reuse Shops in neighbouring boroughs at a discounted rate.
You can also donate items to your local charity shop or share them with your neighbours using Freegle.
Items for recycling
- batteries (household and car batteries)
- cans (metal food and drinks cans)
- carpet (hessian backed only)
- cartons (please empty and flatten)
- compact fluorescent light bulbs (household low energy bulbs)
- electrical goods/appliances (including TVs, videos, PCs)
- engine oil
- glass bottles and jars
- glass - plate/sheet glass
- green waste (for composting)
- hardcore, rubble and soil (small quantities – up to six bags per vehicle every six months)
- mobile phones
- oil: car engine oil and cooking oil
- paint tins (paint must be dry)
- paper (including directories)
- plastic bottles and containers, plastic plant pots, hard plastic items (but no plastic bags, wrapping film, film lids, sheets or PVC window frames)
- printer cartridges
- scrap metal
- textiles and shoes
- white goods (such as fridges, freezers and washing machines)
- wood and timber (separated into clean and dirty wood)
We don’t accept
- asbestos (we may accept this in future, and we will update this page if so; meanwhile, see hazardous waste for other ways to dispose of asbestos)
- commercial waste
- clinical waste includes syringes, dressings and pads
- hazardous waste including chemicals, liquid paint, tyres, diesel and petrol
How to dispose of other items
Visit Recycle Now: Recycle an item to find out how to correctly dispose of your household items.
Vans, trailers and large vehicles
Booking is essential if you visit in a:
- van of any size (including hire vans)
- pick-up truck
- minibus with 10 seats or more
- vehicle with side panels instead of rear windows
- vehicle where the seats have been permanently removed
- vehicle with a trailer where the combined length is less than 5 metres.
Residents in these vehicles can:
- bring up to 250kg of items over a six-month period
- access the centre up to 12 times a year.
If you are unsure if your vehicle is classed as a van or large vehicle please refer to the HMRC definition of car-derived vans and combi vans.
Vehicles not allowed at any time
Very large and heavy vehicles cannot use the site. These include, but are not limited to:
- vehicles over 3.5 tonnes max gross weight
- vehicles over 5 metres in length
- Luton style box vehicles (including any high sided vehicles)
- vehicles with more than 4 wheels
- tipper trucks or false sided vehicles
- vehicle and trailer over 5 metres combined
Change or cancel your booking
To change or cancel your booking, please click the link in your confirmation email.
Visitors to the Recycling Centre can take up to 3 bags of compost. Please bring your own bags to transport the compost. If there is no compost on site, please try again in 2 days.
Need containers? Please order online
Rubbish and recycling containers are not available from Garth Road Household Reuse and Recycling Centre.
Where to find us
63-69 Amenity Way, off Garth Road, Morden SM4 4AX