It is more important than ever to ensure that you do everything you can to minimise the amount of waste you produce, that recycling is clean and dry, and that rubbish bags are securely tied to help prevent spills and protect our collection teams and the public. Thank you for your continued support.
If you are self-isolating
Personal waste (such as used tissues) and disposable cleaning cloths should be stored securely within disposable rubbish bags. These bags should be placed into another bag, tied securely and kept separate from other waste. This should be put aside for at least 72 hours before being put in your usual external general waste bin. Please dispose of your other household waste as normal.
Stay at home guidance (GOV.UK)
How to put out your rubbish and recycling for collection
We will only collect your rubbish and recycling if you:
- put it out by 6am on your
collection day (unless you have a
- put it in the
- don't over-fill your wheelie bins (lids must be closed)
- put it at the front edge of your property where our crews can see and easily reach it, but not on the road or pavement (as in the image below)
- make sure your bags are not split (if you have a bag collection service).
If you put your rubbish out late it may not be collected, as collection times can change, for example due to roadworks or bad weather.
If you put non-recyclable rubbish next to, or on top of, your wheelie bin it will not be collected.
If you have a
time-banded collection please place your waste on the pavement, immediately against your premises.
Purple and blue bag collections
If you have no space to store your waste outside, we may supply you with purple bags for recycling and blue bags for rubbish.
You can put out no more than two blue bags and two purple bags on your collection day.
Get a new bin, box or recycling bags
Get help putting out your waste
If you are physically unable to put out your recycling and rubbish you may be able to use our "assisted collection" service.
When you apply for this service, we may ask you for proof that you are eligible.
To request our assisted collection service, please telephone us on
020 8274 4902.
Foxes sometimes attempt to open food waste bins. Here are some tips to prevent this from happening.
- Keep bins in a secure area until they are due to be placed out for collection.
- Put the handle in the locking position and wedge the handle against a wall or fence.
- Place a heavy item on top of the food bin.
- Consider using a humane fox repellent (works on scent) or an ultrasound deterrent around the bin.