Personal assistants

If you receive direct payments from the council you can use your personal budget to employ a personal assistant to support you.

A personal assistant is someone who is employed to support adults who are disabled or chronically ill to live their lives more independently. They may offer personal, domestic, social or administrative support.

Home care arranged by Merton Council

Home carers can assist with a range of tasks to help people remain independent in their own homes. They can also support carers to maintain their valuable role when providing regular assistance to friends, family or neighbours.

Home care services can provide support to anyone who has been assessed as in need of support within their own home. This may be provided using Merton Council's in-house service or the services of a private agency.

Depending upon the assessment of your needs, tasks undertaken may include:

  • cleaning,
  • gardening,
  • ordering shopping,
  • pension collecting,
  • laundry,
  • childcare support,
  • personal care of your hair and teeth,
  • food preparation,
  • assistance with dressing and undressing, washing or bathing,
  • any other tasks which would normally be expected of a carer.

The cost of this service depends on an assessment of your financial position.

See also

Contact us

Adult First Response
Older People and Physical Disability
Merton Civic Centre
London Road

Telephone: 0208 545 4388
Minicom: 020 8545 4431
Mobile: SMS 07961 243740 (reserved for people who are profoundly deaf and using SMS only)
Fax: 020 8274 5961