If you have a disability and need help to live more independently you may be eligible for a grant to adapt your home. The grants are called Disabled Facilities Grants (DFGs). 

You can apply for a grant if you: 

  • own your own home  
  • are a housing association tenant 
  • rent privately 

The grant can fund: 

  • ramps to entrance doors 
  • stair lifts 
  • level access showers   
  • automatic toilets 

The DFG process

A qualified occupational therapist (OT) must carry out an assessment to decide what works are needed to meet your needs. 

The process is managed by our Environmental Health (Housing) Department. It includes an assessment of your finances to work out if you can contribute towards the cost of any recommended works. 

How to apply

To request an OT assessment and start the grant application process: 

Email: ssotduty@merton.gov.uk  

Telephone: 020 8545 4477 or 020 8545 4428 (Monday to Friday 9.30am to 12.30pm)

Related links

GOV.UK: Disabled Facilities Grants