We will consider all applications for Licences for Children in Entertainment on a case by case basis and will require a Covid-19 specific risk assessment to ensure the health, safety and wellbeing of the child. Due to the challenges posed by the addition of a Covid-19 specific risk assessment we will require a minimum of 10 working days , if all documentation is present, to process applications.

Children up to 16 years old working in entertainment, in paid employment or as amateurs may need to be licensed by us.

Examples of areas requiring a licence include:

  • modelling
  • film or stage work
  • voice overs
  • performing in amateur dramatics
  • singing or dancing performances

We require ten working days notice of a performance to process a licence application once the completed and signed application form and all supporting documents are received by the Education Welfare Team.

Apply to be a chaperone

If you would like to apply to be a chaperone for children in entertainment you must complete the chaperone application form. You will also need a current Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS formerly CRB) certificate. If you need a form to apply for a DBS certificate please contact us.

Body of persons approval (for children who are unpaid in entertainment)

Amateur organisations who are planning productions to take place in Merton may apply for a "body of persons" rather than applying for individual children's performance licences.

Contact us

Education Welfare Service
10th Floor, Merton Civic Centre
London Road
Telephone: 020 8545 4021
Email: education.welfare@merton.gov.uk