Housing Benefit (HB) is an income based benefit which is paid to people who pay rent for their home. It is only available to people on a low income who:

  • live in temporary accommodation provided by Merton.
  • live in supported accommodation in Merton.
  • are of pension age and live in Merton.

Moving to Universal Credit

Working age residents who do not fall within these categories and are getting Housing Benefit at the moment, will be moved onto Universal Credit (UC) between now and the end of March 2025. The Department for Work and Pensions will write to you to let you know more about this process. Merton is not able to advise you on the decisions you may need to take as a result of these letters and you should seek advice from the Department for Work and Pension. Your Housing Benefit will continue until the DWP tell us you have moved to Universal Credit or you have a change in circumstances which means you are no longer eligible for Housing Benefit. More details about the move to UC are available on the GOV.UK website.


In this section

Contact us

For more details about our opening hours and how to contact us, go to Merton Benefits Service contact page.

See also

Other Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support pages

Other Merton pages

Related websites