Skip Navigation LinksMerton Council ❮ Streets, parking and transport ❮ Roadworks ❮ 

Report a problem with roadworks

To report a problem with roadworks you can either contact us or, if the works are being carried out by a utility company, you may wish to contact them directly.

If possible, please tell us the reference number when reporting roadworks.


Our contractors dig up roads and pavements when introducing traffic management schemes, constructing dropped curbs or carrying out road, bridge and pavement maintenance.

Utility companies also dig up pavements and roads to install, renew or repair their equipment.

By law, all utility companies working on public highways must:

  • operate safely
  • return the road or pavement to its original condition
  • ensure that staff are appropriately qualified
  • notify the council of their proposed works.

All works must have a visible courtesy sign that gives the contact phone number and who the contractor is working for.

Utility company contact details

Utility and website



Thames Water

Water, public sewers and drains

0845 9200 800

SES (Sutton and East Surrey) WaterWater, public sewers and drains

01737 772000

EDF Energy


Customer Services - 020 7242 9050

Emergencies - 0800 0280 247

SGN (Southern Gas Networks)


Leaks (emergencies only) 0800 111999

Other enquiries 01926 653000

BT Openreach


0800 800 150

Virgin Media


0800 183 0123

Transport for London

Red routes, strategic route network, traffic signals

Traffic signals faults 020 7941 2010

Red Route Issues 020 7343 5000