Skip Navigation LinksMerton Council ❮ Planning, buildings and environment ❮ Planning ❮ 

Planning enforcement notices

Failure to comply with a planning enforcement notice is an offence.

A breach can lead to prosecution in the Magistrates' Court or Crown Court, even if the breach of planning control has been fixed before the case is heard.​​

This page lists the different kinds of enforcement notice we can issue when a planning breach has occurred.​​

The Enforcement Register​ lists enforcement notices issued.​​​

Types of notice

Planning Contravention Notice (PCN)

Can be issued where we need to get information in order to find out whether there has been a breach of planning control.

Breach of Condition Notice (BCN)

Can be issued where there has been a breach of, or non-compliance with, a planning condition. There is no right of appeal against this notice.

Enforcement Notice

Can be issued where there has been a breach of planning control and we consider it desirable to take action. The notice will sta​te what is required to be done and by when. There is a right of appeal against a notice.

Temporary Stop Notice

This notice is issued to stop unauthorised development or use immediately, for a period of 28 days. During this time the impact of the development can be assessed and consideration given to issuing a formal enforcement notice.

It is usually used as an emergency measure to stop development that poses immediate harm to local amenities.

Stop Notice

Can be issued with or after an enforcement notice, if we think it is urgent that activity stops until an appeal against an enforcement notice is decided.

Section 215 Notice (Harm to amenity)

If we think the condition of land or building affects local amenities we can issue this notice to the owners and occupiers to tidy up the land. This notice can only be appealed in a magistrate's court.

Contact us

Planning Enforcement
London Borough of Merton
Merton Civic Centre
London Road

Tel: 020 8545 3111