What support and training do governors receive?
Governors are provided with comprehensive support from a range of sources.
- The Governor Support Service provides a comprehensive package to schools and apart from statutory requirements also provide training, advice and support and guidance to schools which buy into the Governor Support package. See our page “Merton and Sutton Governor Support Services” for full details of all our services.
Log in to the governor support web pages
- The school will also provide a range of support for governors through the governing body, Headteacher and staff.
- The Diocesan boards provide a range of support to governing bodies of church schools.
- The Department for Education provides a website of current information for schools and governing bodies on key legislative changes and general developments in education.
- The Department for Education produces two very useful guides: Governance Handbook and A Competency Framework for Governance
- Local governors' networks such as the
Merton Governors' Association.
What we offer
- Fast and accurate information and support by telephone or email
- Friendly, professional and knowledgeable staff with many years experience of working with school governors
- Termly newsletters, model agendas, training bulletins, good governance guides and other supporting information
- Welcome packs for new governors
- 24 hour access to a secure website offering a wide variety of key resources
- Comprehensive training programme for governors and clerks in all aspects of education, legislation and governance
- Bespoke training for whole school governing bodies/boards and specialist training in key areas
- Online training booking system
- Briefings, good practice guides and specialised training for clerks
- Bespoke support to governing bodies/boards with concerns or those wishing to develop their governing body/board even further
- Consultancy on governing body/board procedures and relationships
- Facilitation of governing body/board self–evaluation
- LA Review of Governance
- Maintenance of a database
- Parent Governor Elections
Merton and Sutton Governor Support Service
Children, Schools and Families
Merton Civic Centre
Tel: 020 8545 3307 / 3118 / 3923
Fax: 020 8545 3260