On this page
Help for rough sleepers
If you are rough sleeping, or are aware of somebody who is rough sleeping, please contact StreetLink. Thames Reach Rapid Response Team will then visit the rough sleeper, and can usually respond the same day. Those new to rough sleeping can be taken to pan-London 'No Second Night Out' hubs, while others are referred to local support services for assistance and ongoing casework support.
Very cold weather
When the temperature is forecast to fall to 0°C or colder in any London borough, the Severe Weather Emergency Protocol (SWEP) is activated across Greater London.
Arrangements for the SWEP in Merton are as follows:
- If you become aware of a potential rough sleeper, please make a referral, with as much detail as possible about the individual and their location, to:
- StreetLink via their website, or on 0300 500 0914 during office hours
- Merton Housing Strategy Team during office hours on 07584 546 268 or 020 8545 3619 or 020 8 545 4112
- Night Duty during out-of-hours on 020 8770 5000, who will, where appropriate, arrange emergency accommodation
- Rough sleepers can also attend the Civic Centre, London Road, Morden SM4 5DX, during office hours until 4pm and ask to see a member of the Housing Options Team. Under the SWEP, the council will source emergency accommodation for anyone verified by the Thames Reach Rapid Response Team as a rough sleeper in the borough of Merton. We recognise, however, that particularly outside of usual business hours, independent verification may not be possible and where this is the case, provision of the emergency accommodation will be at the discretion of the Emergency Duty Team officer.
- Rough sleepers placed out-of-hours should approach the Merton Housing Advice Service at the Civic Centre, London Road, Morden, SM4 5DX on the following business day, to discuss their options for alternative housing and to review their immediate accommodation needs in the light of the current weather conditions.