We are committed to tackling anti-social behaviour (ASB) which affects our communities. The Safer Merton service will work with you to resolve the issues you face in the most appropriate manner. Our service will work with private homeowners, private rented premises and businesses. Residents living in social housing will need to contact their social housing provider to address their issues.

Report anti-social behaviour

What is anti-social behaviour?

ASB can be:

  • alcohol-related criminal behaviour
  • vandalism
  • verbal abuse
  • vehicle abandonment, nuisance or inappropriate use
  • rowdy or inconsiderate behaviour
  • drugs and alcohol misuse and paraphernalia
  • prostitution
  • begging or vagrancy

What is not anti-social behaviour?

Living noise - for example:

  • noise from children running and playing
  • noise from opening and closing cupboards
  • noisy washing machines and toilets flushing
  • loud music, television and loud conversations from the adjoining property
  • disagreements about boundary walls, fences and parking
  • rubbish left outside of a neighbour’s property
  • animals fouling and rodent infestations
  • cooking smells 

Support for victims of anti-social behaviour

If you experience anti-social behaviour, we can offer you support:

  • We will ask other agencies to help you, if you need it
  • A home visit – if you can’t visit a council office, for example because you are disabled; you or someone on your behalf can contact us by phone, and we will normally make an appointment
  • Offer mediation in appropriate circumstances
  • Refer to Victim Support

Investigating complaints of anti-social behaviour

We will look at every report and complaint of ASB, understand the cause and use tools and powers available to solve it.

We will work with other agencies such as the Metropolitan Police and Social Housing providers.

For more information see Report Crime or Anti-social Behaviour.

Contact us

Anti-social Behaviour Unit
Safer Merton
Merton Council
Civic Centre
London Road

Telephone: 020 8274 4901
Email: asbunit@merton.gov.uk