​If you are aged 18 or over and you are experiencing difficulties with existing licensed premises such as pubs or clubs, you can apply for that licence to be reviewed. This can be done at anytime. There is no fee to pay, but the application cannot be made anonymously.

For objections to new premises see Making a Representation.

Reasons for a complaint

In all cases where you are experiencing difficulties with a particular premises, you are advised to bring the problems to the attention of the pub or club and try to reach agreement.

But if this fails you should:

  • keep a diary detailing rowdy behaviour and contact the Police for serious incidents
  • be willing to present your views to The Council's Licensing Committee
  • contact our Environmental Health department – phone 020 8545 3025 or email ehealth@merton.gov.uk.

The review application has to be made on the grounds of one or more of following:

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm

How to complain

  1. Complete the Review Application Form
  2. Send the completed form to:
    Licensing, London Borough of Merton,
    14th Floor, Civic Centre,
    London Road, Morden,
    SM4 5DX.
  3. Send a copy of all the application documentation to the premises licence holder (or to the club committee if it is a club).
  4. You must also send a copy to each of the following bodies. It is recommended that you send your copies by recorded delivery (or similar), so that you can prove that the requirement has been met.
    • The Chief Officer of Police, Sergeant Paoli, Wimbledon Police Station, 15 Queens Road, London, SW19 8NN
    • London Fire & Emergency Planning Authority, Fire Safety Regulation: South West Area 4, London Fire Brigade, 169 Union Street, London, SE1 0LL
    • These officers using the council address on this page:
      • Planning Manager
      • Merton Local Safeguarding Children Board (10th Floor)
      • Chief Inspector of Weights and Measures
      • Environmental Health (Commercial) Manager
      • Environmental Health (Pollution) Manager
      • Environmental Health (Licensing) Manager
      • Director of Public Health (3rd Floor)
    • Any other local council that may be affected. For example this would only apply to premises located on the boundary between Merton, Wandsworth, Kingston, Croydon, Lambeth or Sutton.

Any of the responsible authorities can make representations about an application if they consider that the licensing objectives will be undermined.