We have legal powers to take action against noise which is considered a 'statutory nuisance'. If we are satisfied that a noise nuisance exists then we can issue a noise abatement notice.

When deciding whether a noise nuisance exists we consider a number of factors, including:

  • type of noise
  • time of day
  • frequency
  • volume
  • duration
  • impact on those suffering noise nuisance

We take a step-by-step approach which includes contacting alleged offenders and asking you to keep a diary of noisy events. Based upon this evidence we might visit your property or use noise monitoring equipment to decide if a formal investigation is needed.

Noise we can do something about

  • Barking dogs
  • Commercial premises noise (such as extraction units and air conditioning systems)
  • DIY activities during unsociable hours
  • Loud amplified music
  • Pubs and clubs
  • Alarms
  • Construction and demolition sites

Report a noise nuisance

Report noise nuisance

You can also telephone 020 8545 3025 during office hours (9am to 5pm Monday to Friday)

On Saturday nights between 11pm and 4am, please call our out of hours noise service on 020 8543 9750.

In May, June, July and August the service is also available on Fridays from 11pm to 4am.

Coronavirus update:
To ensure that we do not put you or our officers at risk, we will only visit complainants and individuals alleged to be causing noise problems in cases where we believe it is safe for us to do so. We will still continue to operate our service and respond to complaints using alternative measures such as carrying out noise assessments outside properties in some cases.

Noise we can't do anything about

  • Roads, railways and aircraft
  • Children playing
  • Everyday domestic noise that can be heard because of poor sound insulation like talking, walking about, babies crying or doors slamming
  • Normal urban noise

Guidance on resolving neighbour disputes

Resolving neighbour disputes (GOV.UK website)

Taking your own legal action

If we are unable to take action you can consider taking your own legal action. We have produced a guide to help you:

Guide to taking your own legal action