Hospices provide care specifically for terminally ill people and give support to their carers both in the hospice and at home. There is one hospice in the borough, St Raphael's.
St Raphael's offers the special skills of Hospice care to those facing life-threatening illness living in the boroughs of Merton and Sutton (predominantly Wimbledon, Merton, Sutton and Cheam).
The service is completely free of charge, and includes:
- skilled medical care provided by doctors and nurses
- care at home or in the Hospice/palliative care centre
- a day centre providing social and creative opportunities, as well as treatments, sometimes including complementary therapies
- support for friends, family and children
- spiritual support
- respite care to give carers a break
For general enquiries contact:
St Raphael’s Hospice
Telephone: 020 8335 4575
Fax: 020 8335 4577
You can also visit their website
St Raphael’s Hospice Website
Private nursing and rest homes
Some private nursing and rest homes also specialise in the care of the terminally ill. Your doctor or hospital consultant should know of such homes.
Paying for residential or nursing home care
- The closest Children’s Hospice to residents living in the Borough of Merton is Richard House. Visit their website at
Richard House Website