Following our Declaration of a Climate Emergency on 10 July 2019, we will be drafting a Climate Change Action Plan to set out how we intend to make the London Borough of Merton carbon neutral by 2050. To advise on the development of the Action Plan and communicate ideas and feedback from the wider Merton Community, we will be forming a Climate Emergency Working Group.
The purpose of the Climate Emergency Working Group
Made up of around 15 individuals, the Working Group will act as a conduit for the residents, businesses and services of the London Borough of Merton. Working Group Members will gather evidence and ideas which will contribute to the formation of the Action Plan. They will work constructively to identify priority actions and provide high quality comments on the proposed Action Plan for Cabinet.
Working group members
The Working Group is seeking a range of individuals who feel they can offer their time, experience and any specific knowledge of climate change issues to make up a diverse panel which provides a representative cross section of residents, businesses and services in Merton.
Below are a set of qualities, experience and skills that we are looking for in individual Working Group members.
- An understanding of the Merton community;
- Relevant skills and experience you can bring from other projects or your own organisation. These may include knowledge of climate issues, expertise in buildings, transport, energy, green spaces or investments;
- An ability to think strategically and creatively.
- Commitment to working collaboratively and inclusively without a conflict of interest; and
- Access to and commitment to engage with the wider Merton community, including residents, businesses, services or academic contacts.
The Working Group members will be working on a volunteer basis. The Working Group will aim to meet 4 times over the course of 6 months from September to February. All Working Group members must be able to commit 12 hours per month.
The first Working Group meeting will be held from 7pm to 9pm on Tuesday 24 September. All applicants will need to confirm that they would be available to attend the first meeting if they are selected to be part of the Working Group.
How to apply
Please complete the following form in either format.
Please send it to Future Merton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selection process and timeline
- Applications are now open
- Deadline for submission of application forms – 5 pm on 30 August 2019
- Selected Working Group Members Confirmed – Early September 2019
- First Working Group Meeting – 7pm-9pm on 24 September 2019