Wandle Park is a pleasant local amenity space off Merton High Street near to the town of Colliers Wood in the north of Merton. The park lies alongside the river Wandle, an area rich in early industrial history, and is of informal design consisting of grass, a linear path, with trees generally beside the river and newer wetland features.
This park is on the Nelson Trail and the Wandle Trail.

Facilities

  • Notable trees and woodland
  • Fountain
  • Public telephone
  • Play area

Audio guide and video

Watch the video or find out how to download the audio tour to your MP3 player

  • Wandle Park audio guide and video

History and heritage

The 19th century stone drinking fountain was erected through private subscription in memory of Robert Bloomfield Fenwick (1835-1897), who had lived at Wandle Park from 1867 to 1895 and was instrumental in the founding and building of All Saints Parish Church. It was formerly decorated with medallions of heads, now missing.
The park was once the site of Wandlebank House, built in 1791 by James Perry and owned by him until 1821. Perry owned the corn mill next door and was also editor of the 'Morning Chronicle', the most successful London newspaper in Georgian times. Corn milling had been an important industry on the Wandle from medieval times. Perry died in 1821 and is commemorated with a memorial at St Mary's Parish Church, Wimbledon.
Lord Nelson is thought to have visited Wandle Park House on a number of occasions, together with Emma and Sir William Hamilton. The house was demolished in 1962.

Opening hours

DayOpenClose
Monday - Friday8 AMDusk
Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays9 AMDusk

Location

Wandle Park occupies approximately 11 acres and is situated on the site of a former millpond; the River Wandle forms the boundary of the park. Wandle Park is an attractive natural amenity Park within the Colliers Wood Town in Merton. The site is bounded by Byegrove Road, Merton High Street and the River Wandle.
Public access is via Millars Mead Court, Baltic Close, behind flats along Byegrove Road and across the footbridge along the River Wandle. The main vehicle access is by the old lodge.

Transport

  • Buses: 157, 52, 200, 219, 493, N155
  • Tube: Colliers Wood Tube Station in Merton High Street, 2 minutes walk.
  • Small car park suitable for 30 cars off Byegrove Road near the old Lodge.

Hire

Hire this park for your event

Contact us

idverde
Cheam Depot
Cheam Park
Tudor Close
Cheam
SM3 8QS
Tel: 020 3876 8806