You can apply for a council tax discount of up to 50% if you are:

  • a single person
  • a resident who isn’t counted
  • disabled

You can no longer claim a discount for an empty property.

After applying you must continue to pay council tax as usual until you receive a revised bill from us.

You must tell us immediately if there is a change of circumstances at your property, as this may affect how much council tax we charge you. It’s a criminal offence to claim a discount if you’re not entitled to it.


Single person

If you are the only person aged 18 or over living in a property, you may be entitled to a single adult discount. This discount entitles you to 25% off your council tax bill.

Apply for a single adult discount

If someone else over the age of 18 moves into the property you should tell us straight away as this may affect your discount.

Residents who aren’t counted

If one or more of the following people lives in the property, you may be entitled to a discount:

  • 18 and 19 year olds who are at, or who have just left, school or college
  • patients in hospital
  • people being looked after in care homes
  • people staying in certain hostels or night shelters
  • care workers working for low pay, usually for charities
  • people who care for someone receiving certain types of benefits, provided that person is not their husband or wife, partner, civil partner, or a child under 18
  • members of visiting forces and certain international institutions
  • foreign diplomats
  • members of religious communities (monks and nuns)
  • people in detention
  • people who are severely mentally impaired

Apply for a discount

If you’re student you may qualify for a discount or exemption. See Council tax discounts and exemptions for students for details.


Residents with disabilities

We may reduce the amount you have to pay if you or, someone you live with is disabled. This is called Disablement Relief.

The property must be the disabled person’s sole or main residence. The person must be substantially and permanently disabled, whether by illness, injury, congenital deformity or otherwise. The reduction may also be claimed if the disabled person is a child..

If you think you qualify, please contact us or fill in the form.

Apply for Disablement Relief


Cancel a discount

Cancel a single adult household discount

Cancel a council tax discount, exemption or property reduction for disabilities

Contact us

Local Taxation Section
London Borough of Merton
PO Box No 559
Phone: 020 8274 4904
Email: local.taxation@merton.gov.uk

We are no longer able to attend to personal visitors at the Civic Centre. You can email us anytime or telephone between 9am and 5pm.