Skip Navigation LinksMerton Council ❮ Coronavirus ❮ 

Coronavirus: help for residents

Help and support is available if you've been affected by coronavirus.

Support if you need to self-isolate

You may be entitled to a £500 Test and Trace Support Payment if you have been told to stay at home and self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace.

Citizens Advice Merton and Lambeth are providing advice and support for any residents who need to self-isolate. Advisers can support you with a range of issues including applying for self-isolation payments of up to £500, welfare benefits, employment advice, foodbank and grant referrals and access to local and national government support schemes. Email with your name, postcode and telephone details, or ring 0808 278 7831 (Freephone), 10am to 4pm, Monday to Friday.

Merton Community Hub can provide support and deliveries of essentials such as prescriptions.

Other financial support

Other help and support

  • Merton Community Hub - help for isolated households and those at risk from COVID-19
  • Age UK Merton – support for older people
  • Wimbledon Guild – Talking therapies, grief support and well being support
  • Commonside Trust – Support and assistance to vulnerable individuals and families in Pollards Hill.
  • Wimbledon Foodbank – Part of a nationwide network of food banks, supported by The Trussell Trust.
  • Merton’s Community Fridge – Surplus fresh food is donated and redistributed to the community
  • Ahmadiyya Muslim Youth Organisation – Network of volunteers providing support to the vulnerable and those self-isolating. Linked to Baitul Futuh Mosque in Morden.
  • South West London Law Centres – Help for local people with legal advice and casework including problems they are facing as a result of coronavirus.
  • Carers Support Merton – Providing support to unpaid carers, both adults and young people.
  • Merton Dementia Hub – Providing support for people with dementia as well as their families and carers.
  • Association for Polish Family – Providing advice, information and guidance including on Covid19 related issues. The service is available in Polish/English from 9am – 2pm Monday-Friday.
  • Merton Community Transport – Offering  food collection and transport for groups, organisations or individuals.
  • Merton Growbaby – Providing good quality, new and second-hand, baby clothes and equipment.
  • Merton Uplift (NHS) – Free service for anyone experiencing stress, anxiety or depression. Offers psychological therapies, wellbeing and specialist employment services.
  • Good Thinking is London's digital mental wellbeing service and offers support for common mental health conditions such as stress, anxiety, poor sleep or low mood.
  • Bereavement support 

Employment and training

People at high risk (clinically extremely vulnerable)

Help for people who are clinically extremely vulnerable to COVID-19

Young people

Children with special educational needs or disabilities

Merton's High Streets

Merton's High Streets have fully reopened. This includes non-essential retail, hospitality and close contact and beauty. We want you to keep safe as we take this final step out of lockdown, so please be cautious and think of others while you are out and about. Find out more about how to stay safe and prevent the spread of Coronavirus.

Do customers have to wear a face covering?

The requirement to wear face coverings in law has been lifted. However, the Government expects and recommends that people wear face coverings in crowded areas such as public transport. Many premises may still ask you to wear a face coverings and we ask that you respect this if you are able.

COVID-19 spreads through the air by droplets and aerosols that are exhaled from the nose and mouth of an infected person. The Government expects and recommends that people wear face coverings in crowded areas such as public transport.

Do I need to provide proof if I am exempt from wearing a face covering?

There is no legal requirement for individuals to carry proof that you are exempt from wearing a face covering.

Will I be able to use fitting rooms?

Yes, you are permitted to use fitting rooms if they are open.

Do I need to scan the QR code if required and what if I don't have a smartphone to do this?

You're no longer legally required to give your details or scan the app, but doing so will support NHS Test and Trace to contact those who may have been exposed to COVID-19 so that they can book a test. If you want to provide contact details but don't have the app, the business may ask you to manually provide the following information:

  • Your name
  • A contact phone number
  • Date of visit, arrival time and, where possible, departure time

What about social distancing?  

You do not need to stay 2 metres apart from people you do not live with. There are also no limits on the number of people you can meet. However, in order to minimise risk at a time of high prevalence, you should limit the close contact you have with those you do not usually live with, and increase close contact gradually. This includes minimising the number, proximity and duration of social contacts. Try and meet up with others outdoors where possible and let fresh air into homes or other enclosed spaces.

People with disabilities

British Sign Language (BSL) users