An under 18’s COVID Community Champions is a programme aimed at 11-17-year-olds in the community run by Anna and Toby, the Young Inspectors. They work in partnership with Merton Public Health and SWL CCG to develop the programme, ensuring it aligns with Public Health key messages related to COVID-19.
Under 18’s Covid Community Champions will come together online to discuss: COVID-19 in Merton, the latest information, how the pandemic has affected them and their families/communities and how they as local champions can support and influence the local COVID-19 response.
Become an Under 18 Covid Community Champion
This project empowers and encourages young people to have a greater awareness and understanding of COVID-19 and how they can help stop the spread in innovative ways.
What you will do
- Come together online with other u18's (school-based) COVID-19 Community Champions across Merton to discuss ways to support and influence how we tackle COVID-19 in Merton
- Discuss how the pandemic has affected you, your family and your community.
- Keep up to date with the latest info on COVID and share this with family and friends.
- Contribute to the development of upcoming videos and topics for each zoom session.
- Watch the videos produced and share them with your family, peers and friends
- Become a champion in our campaign to reduce COVID-19 in the borough
You'll also need to…..
- Live, work and study in Merton.
- Attend as many zoom sessions as you can.
- Spread the word and encourage others to join.
- Sign up and become a champion today!
- Most importantly, come with an open mind.
Become a member
If you would like to get this opportunity and be part of a more extensive network to help raise and spread awareness in innovative ways, be sure to press the link below, to become a member today.
If you have any questions feel free to get in touch with us! We are always happy to help.
What you'll get from this role
- Recognition from Merton Council Public Health Team and the South West London Clinical Commissioning Group
- Experience that can go on your CV
- Resources used in zoom sessions, for example presentations, fact sheets, and other information
- Have the opportunity to take part actively in zoom sessions or projects
- Receive an under 18's badge, certificate of membership and a personalised facemask
Access accredited training as Youth Health Champions. Young people from age 14 can undertake the RSPH Level 2 Certificate for Youth Health Champions, which consists of four modules to:
- understand the key determinants of health
- conduct research about the health facilities in their community
- practise delivering health messages to peers
- complete a specialist module to deepen understanding of a specific aspect of health such as alcohol misuse, physical activity, healthy weight and healthy eating, sexual health, stop smoking or substance misuse
Meet Anna and Toby
Anna and Toby are the Young Inspectors and the leads for the under 18's COVID Community Champions. They are responsible for coordinating online sessions and updating you on the latest Public Health key messages to help control the spread of COVID-19. They look forward to hearing from you about your experiences of COVID and what you'd like us to focus on going forward. Please watch and share the videos below.
Videos for Secondary Schools
If you need more under 18's badges, Certificate of Membership and a personalised u18's COVID Community Champions face-masks, please contact: Keith Bartlett, Keith.Bartlett@merton.gov.uk, tel: 020 85453419