If you are an employee concerned about health and safety conditions in your workplace or if you have visited a workplace and you are concerned about a health and safety issue, then please contact us.


We cannot investigate complaints about companies outside the borough, or those that are the responsibility of the Health and Safety Executive. However we can offer general advice or pass your complaint on to the relevant authority.


If your complaint relates to a commercial business, we can offer advice and in many cases we can investigate your complaint further. If you are employed in Merton we can advise on and investigate the following issues:

  • Stress at work
  • Workplace transport
  • Handling and moving of goods and materials
  • Working at height
  • Slip and trips hazards
  • Temperature and ventilation
  • Lighting
  • Noise
  • Use of dangerous equipment
  • Handling and working with dangerous substances
  • Personal protective equipment
  • Working hours
  • Work stations and the use of computers
  • Provision of toilet and washing facilities
  • Asbestos
  • Occupational dermatitis

If you are a member of the public with a health and safety complaint about a company in Merton we can help. Some of the examples we can help with are:

  • Slippery floors and tripping hazards
  • Obstructed aisles and doors
  • Housekeeping
  • Work equipment
  • Escalators and lifts
  • Unsafe structures
  • Untrained staff
  • Poor lighting

See also

Accident investigations

A copy of our enforcement policy can be downloaded here at enforcement policy

Related websites

Health and Safety (Enforcement Authority) Regulations 1998 (Health and Safety Executive website)
Detailed guidance on the enforcement split between the Health and Safety Executive and Local Authorities

Contact us

Environmental Health Commercial
Merton Civic Centre
London Road

Tel No 020 8545 3025
Email ehealth@merton.gov.uk