Skip Navigation LinksMerton Council ❮ Births, marriages and deaths ❮ 

Forming a civil partnership

Coronavirus updates

  • Due to Coronavirus it may be necessary to cancel or reschedule appointments and ceremonies at short notice.
  • By booking at this time you agree that you understand and accept the risk of late notice cancellations or rescheduling.
  • In the interest of our staff and other members of the public if you or anyone in your household is feeling unwell, experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or in isolation, do not attend your ceremony or appointment at Morden Park House.
  • We have published a ceremony FAQ document which may answer some questions on our Book a Ceremony page. 
  • On 31st July the government announced that from Saturday 8th August face coverings will be required to be worn by all at weddings and civil partnership ceremonies taking place in register offices, other approved venues or places of worship except for the bride and groom or civil partners.  
  • Following the Prime minister's announcement that from 20th December 2020 Greater London will enter 'stay at home' (tier 4) COVID alert status, notice of civil partnership appointments will continue unaffected.


Civil partnerships are available to both same-sex couples and opposite-sex couples. The legal requirements for a civil partnership are the same for both.

Deciding between civil partnership and marriage

We can provide no advice or guidance for couples when choosing between a civil partnership and marriage. 

GOV.UK provides information on the differences between marriage and civil partnership.

Couples are advised to seek independent legal advice, especially as there may be issues with the recognition of their relationship in some countries.

Register a civil partnership

Please see Marriages and Civil Partnerships (GOV.UK) for detailed information about registering a civil partnership.

Giving notice of civil partnership

It is a legal requirement to give notice of a civil partnership.

If both you and your partner are British, European (EEA) or Swiss nationals then you must both give at least 28 clear days' notice at the register office for the local authority where you live.

If you or your partner are subject to immigration control, you must give notice together at any designated register office in England and Wales.

Couples where one or both the parties are non-EEA nationals who do not provide adequate evidence of:

  • indefinite leave to remain / indefinite leave to enter
  • permanent resident status
  • a marriage or civil partnership visa
  • other exemption from immigration control

will be referred to Home Office Immigration under the new 'referral and investigation' scheme. This may mean that these couples may have their notice period extended from 28 to 70 days if the Home Office has reasonable grounds to investigate their circumstances and will increase the fee per person from £35.00 to £47.00.


Fees for giving Notice

Standard hours fee per notice: £35.00 or £47.00. So for a couple giving notice the fee would be: £70.00 or £94.00.

Out of hours supplement fee per notice: £10.00

(Standard hours: Monday to Friday 09:00-15:30)



Appointments are available at Merton Register Office from Monday to Friday between 9.30am - 4.00pm (except the 3rd Thursday of the month) and occasional weekends.

To book an appointment please telephone 020 8274 5777.

Book a notice of intention

What should we take to our notice appointment?

To reduce the number of documents are staff are required to handle please scan or take high quality photos of your documents and e-mail copies these to once you have booked an appointment.

You must also bring the original documents with you.


You must each bring the following original documents to your notice appointment:

  • your current valid passport
  • proof of address this must be one of the following:
ItemValidity period

Utility bill

Must be dated within the last three months

Bank statement

Must be dated within the last month

Council Tax bill

Must be dated within the last year

Mortgage Statement

Must be dated within the last year

Driving licence

Must be valid and in date.

the name and address of your marriage or civil partnership venue

Other original documents you must bring, depending on your circumstances:

Your CircumstancesWhat to bring

Your or your partner are non-EEA Nationals​

- 1 Passport sized photo for each of you ONLY if one or both of you are not EEA/British nationals, if both of you are EEA/British nationals, we don't need the photos

- Proof of the current immigration status for all non-EEA nationals

Divorced or dissolved civil partnership


- final divorce or dissolution document, please note that an electronic copy will only be accepted if we can see that it originated from the court that issued it

- marriage or civil partnership certificate

- if documents are not in English, a full English translation by a third party, including translator's details and signature.

Widowed or are a surviving civil partner

- spouse or civil partner's death certificate

- marriage or civil partnership certificate.

Changed name

- proof of name change.

Under 18

- completed parental consent form; collect one

from us before your notice appointment.


Bookings for civil partnership ceremonies at Merton Register Office can be made up to one year in advance. To secure the date and time you require you can either book in person or telephone the Merton Register Office.


Fees for civil partnership certificates

If the event occurred in Merton we can produce copies of certificates for the following fees:

ServiceCostPostage - Recorded Postage - SpecialPostage - EuropeanPostage - Worldwide
At formation£11.00N/AN/AN/AN/A
Standard 5 day£11.00£2.50£8.00£10.00£11.00
24 hour£35.00£2.50£8.00£10.00£11.00
1 hour£45.00 Collection only

To order a copy certificate for a civil partnership that occurred in Merton please click here.

If the event occurred more than 18 months ago you can also  order a copy certificate online from the General Register Office website.


Opening hours

Monday to Friday 9.00am - 4.30pm, except for the third Thursday of every month when the office closes at 12.30pm.

Contact us

Merton Register Office
Morden Park House
Morden Park
London Road

Map of Merton Register Office

Telephone: 020 8274 5777

Facebook - Merton Register Office