A civil partnership can take place at a register office or at a building approved for civil partnership.
Only same sex couples can form a civil partnership.
Register a civil partnership
Marriages and Civil Partnerships (GOV.UK) for detailed information about registering a civil partnership.
Giving notice of civil partnership
It is a legal requirement to give notice of a civil partnership.
If both you and your partner are British, European (EEA) or Swiss nationals then you must both give at least
28 clear days' notice at the register office for the
local authority where you live.
If you or your partner are subject to immigration control, you must give notice
together at any
designated register office in England and Wales.
Couples where one or both the parties are non-EEA nationals who
do not provide adequate evidence of:
- indefinite leave to remain / indefinite leave to enter
- permanent resident status
- a marriage or civil partnership visa
- other exemption from immigration control
will be referred to Home Office Immigration under the new 'referral and investigation' scheme. This may mean that these couples may have their notice period extended from 28 to
70 days if the Home Office has reasonable grounds to investigate their circumstances and will increase the fee per person from £35.00 to £47.00.
Fees for giving Notice
Standard hours fee per notice: £35.00 or £47.00. So for a couple giving notice the fee would be: £70.00 or £94.00.
Out of hours supplement fee per notice: £10.00
(Standard hours: Monday to Friday 09:00-15:30)
Appointments are available at Merton Register Office from Monday to Friday between 9.30am - 4.00pm (except the 3rd Thursday of the month) and occasional weekends.
To book an appointment please telephone 020 8274 5777.
What should we take to our notice appointment?
You must each bring the following original documents to your notice appointment:
- your current valid passport
- proof of address this must be one of the following:
Must be dated within the last three months
Must be dated within the last month
Council Tax bill
Must be dated within the last year
Must be dated within the last year
Must be valid and in date.
the name and address of your marriage or civil partnership venue
Other original documents you must bring, depending on your circumstances:
Your or your partner are non-EEA Nationals
- 1 Passport sized photo for each of you ONLY if one or both of you are not EEA/British nationals, if both of you are EEA/British nationals, we don't need the photos
- Proof of the current immigration status for all non-EEA nationals
Divorced or dissolved civil partnership
- final divorce or dissolution document
- marriage or civil partnership certificate
- if documents are not in English, a full English translation by a third party, including translator's details and signature.
Widowed or are a surviving civil partner
- spouse or civil partner's death certificate
- marriage or civil partnership certificate.
- proof of name change.
- completed parental consent form; collect one from us before your notice appointment.
Bookings for civil partnership ceremonies at
Merton Register Office can be made up to one year in advance. To secure the date and time you require you can either book in person or telephone the Merton Register Office.
Fees for civil partnership certificates
If the event occurred in Merton we can produce copies of certificates for the following fees:
|Standard 5 day||£11.00||£2.50||£8.00||£10.00||£11.00|
|1 hour||£45.00|| Collection only |
Please contact us to place an order.
If the event occurred more than 18 months ago you can also order a copy certificate online from the General Register Office website.
Monday to Friday 9.00am - 4.30pm, except for the third Thursday of every month when the office closes at 12.30pm.
The office will be closing at 2.00pm on Thursday 1st March 2018
Saturday and Sunday some services are available by appointment only.
Merton Register Office
Morden Park House
Map of Merton Register Office
Telephone: 020 8274 5777
Fax: 020 8648 0433