Skip Navigation LinksMerton Council ❮ Births, marriages and deaths ❮ 

Getting married

Coronavirus updates

  • Due to Coronavirus it may be necessary to cancel or reschedule appointments and ceremonies at short notice.
  • By booking at this time you agree that you understand and accept the risk of late notice cancellations or rescheduling.
  • In the interest of our staff and other members of the public if you or anyone in your household is feeling unwell, experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or in isolation, do not attend your ceremony or appointment at Morden Park House.
  • We have published a ceremony FAQ document which may answer some questions on our Book a Ceremony page. 
  • On 31st July the government announced that from Saturday 8th August face coverings will be required to be worn by all at weddings and civil partnership ceremonies taking place in register offices, other approved venues or places of worship except for the bride and groom or civil partners.  
  • Following the Prime minister's announcement that from 20th December 2020 Greater London will enter 'stay at home' (tier 4) COVID alert status, notice of marriage appointments will continue unaffected.


There are usually two steps to getting married:

  1. Give notice at a register office
  2. Have a civil or religious ceremony

The steps may be different for some religious ceremonies.

Giving notice of marriage

Unless you are getting married in an Anglican church and not subject to immigration control, you must give notice at a register office.

If both you and your partner are British, European (EEA) or Swiss nationals then you must both give at least 28 clear days' notice at the register office for the local authority where you live.

If you or your partner are subject to immigration control, you must give notice together at any designated register office in England and Wales.

Marriage couples where one or both the parties are non-EEA nationals who do not provide adequate evidence of:

  • indefinite leave to remain / indefinite leave to enter
  • permanent resident status
  • a marriage or civil partnership visa
  • other exemption from immigration control

will be referred to Home Office Immigration under the new 'referral and investigation' scheme. This may mean that these couples may have their notice period extended from 28 to 70 days if the Home Office has reasonable grounds to investigate their circumstances and will increase the fee per person from £35.00 to £47.00.

Fees for giving Notice

Standard hours fee per notice: £35.00 or £47.00. So for a couple giving notice the fee would be: £70.00 or £94.00.

(Standard hours: Monday to Friday 09:00-15:30)


Appointments are available at Merton Register Office from Monday to Friday between 9.30am - 4.00pm (except the 3rd Thursday of the month) and occasional weekends.

To book an appointment please telephone 020 8274 5777.

Book a notice of intention

What should we take to our notice appointment?

To reduce the number of documents are staff are required to handle please scan or take high quality photos of your documents and e-mail copies these to once you have booked an appointment.

You must also bring the original documents with you.

You must each bring the following to your notice appointment:

  • your current valid passport (original document)
  • the name and address of your marriage or civil partnership venue
  • proof of address - this must be one of the following original documents:


Validity period

Utility bill Must be dated within the last three months
Bank statement Must be dated within the last month
Council Tax bill Must be dated within the last year
Mortgage Statement Must be dated within the last year
Driving licence Must be valid and in date.


Other original documents you must bring, depending on your circumstances:

Your circumstances

What to bring

Your or your partner are non-EEA Nationals​


- 1 Passport sized photo for each of you ONLY if one or both of you are not EEA/British nationals, if both of you are EEA/British nationals, we don't need the photos

- Proof of the current immigration status for all non-EEA nationals

Divorced or dissolved civil partnership


- final divorce or dissolution document, please note that an electronic copy will only be accepted if we can see that it originated from the court that issued it

- marriage or civil partnership certificate

- if documents are not in English, a full English translation by a third party, including translator's details and signature.

Widowed or are a surviving civil partner

- spouse or civil partner's death certificate

- marriage or civil partnership certificate.

Changed name - proof of name change.
Under 18 - completed parental consent form; collect one from us before your notice appointment.

Converting a Civil Partnership to a Marriage

From 10th December 2014 the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013 enables civil partners to convert their civil partnership to a marriage provided that it was formed:

  • in England or Wales
  • at a British Consulate
  • by British Armed Forces Personnel (only where their civil partnership has been formed overseas under the provision of the Civil Partnership Act 2004, not under local law)

The completed conversion will automatically end the civil partnership and the couple will be treated as having been married since the date the civil partnership was formed.

Where both the couple can attend a register office, the conversion can be completed without requiring the usual consents, notice periods, witnesses, residency requirements or reciting of statutory words (though the Superintendent Registrar is required to state statutory words during the conversion process). This is because the civil partners are already in legal relationship. Please note there are exceptions to this standard process so please telephone us for clarification of your circumstances.

The actual process will involve an appointment during which the (Deputy) Superintendent Registrar completes a declaration document that must be signed by the couple.

Appointments are available at Merton Register Office from Monday to Friday between 9.30am - 4.00pm. Please contact us to book an appointment.



In Merton, marriage ceremonies can take place at:

Same-sex couples can marry in a religious building where permission has been given by the organisation and the building has been registered for the marriage of same sex couples.

Clergy Letter for us taking Notice

Fees for marriage certificates

If the event occurred in Merton we can produce copies of certificates for the following fees:

ServiceCost per certificate excluding postagePostage - Recorded Postage - Special Postage - European Postage - Worldwide
​At registration£11.00​​N/AN/A​N/A​N/A​

Standard 5 day






24 hour






1 hour


Collection only

Order a marriage certificate

Terms and conditions

Merton Registration Service Terms and Conditions

Search our marriage records

Family history

Related websites

Opening hours

Monday to Friday 9.00am - 4.30pm, except for the third Thursday of every month when the office closes at 12.30pm.

Contact us

Merton Register Office
Morden Park House
Morden Park
London Road

Map of Merton Register Office

Telephone: 020 8274 5777

Facebook - Merton Register Office