Speed limits are introduced to ensure greater road safety.
Request a change to a speed limit
Before deciding to lower, raise or extend an existing speed limit we must consider all the relevant factors such as:
- expected accident savings
- improvement to the environment
- improvement in amenities
- reduction in public anxiety
- improved facilities for vulnerable road users
- delays to traffic
- costs of implementation
- costs of engineering measures and their maintenance
- costs of enforcement, especially where the speed limit is regarded as unreasonable by drivers
If it is considered that a change in the speed limit is warranted then a new Speed Limit Order has to be made. This involves a statutory legal process that takes approximately 9 months. If a road has street lighting on it with no speed limit repeater signs, the road is already subject to a 30mph limit, and we are not permitted to place 30mph repeater signs on it.