Skip Navigation LinksMerton Council ❮ Streets, parking and transport ❮ Streets and pavements ❮ 

Building materials on the highway licence


We recommend that you only submit applications online as our staff are working remotely. Some applications may be delayed, particularly where they require an inspection of a premises or site assessment to be carried out.

Building materials on the highway

​If you are thinking about storing building materials such as bricks, or bags of sand on the carriageway, you must submit a materials licence application before you do this. It is an offence to place anything on the highway without permission from the local Highways Authority.

There are two types of licence, one for residents or property owners and one for builders or commercial organisations for Welfare, containers and Mobile Plant.

Apply for a residential licence

Apply for a Welfare / Container / Mobile Plant licence 

Report unlicensed materials on the highway

Licence conditions

If you want to place building materials on the road please observe the following conditions:

  • The materials must be licensed before they are required to be placed on the road
  • The materials must be properly fenced and protected, and lit overnight (to the standard the Council requires)
  • The materials must be left in a tidy condition and not extended beyond 1 metre from the kerb line, or stored higher than 1 metre.
  • Channels and drains must be kept clear to allow the free flow of surface water
  • Alternative pedestrian access and signage must be provided where footway access is limited
  • No mixing or depositing of mortar on the highway
  • No waste material, including concrete, mortar, grout, plaster, fats, oils and chemicals shall be washed down on the highway or disposed of into the highway drainage system
  • Sites are inspected before the licence is issued, during the licence period, and after the licence has expired to ensure materials have been removed and no damage has been caused to the highway.
  • Please note that building materials cannot be stored on a Red Route location or on double yellow lines. In the event of this situation arising, an alternative location in a side road may be considered.
  • We reserve the right to request the materials be removed at any time where safety to highway users is in question.

Types of materials licences

There is no limit to the number of renewals that can be made providing the above licence conditions are met. In the event that you wish to have the materials removed for a period of time and replaced at a later date, a new application for a licence will need to be made.

Welfare / Container / Mobile Plant licence

A commercial licence applies to any builders or contractors that wish to place their materials on the highway outside the house they plan to do work on. The standard length of a commercial building materials licence in the London Borough of Merton is 28 days. 

Residential licence

A residential licence applies to the owner or resident who plans to carry out building or repair works themselves, and wishes to store materials outside the house where the work is to take place. The standard length of a residential builders materials licence is 4 weeks.

Standard licence fees

1) For placing materials on a yellow line or in a road that is not in a Controlled Parking Zone.

Licences in these locations are valid for 28 days at a time.

Type of licence Licence fee Plus yellow line waiver fee if applicable
Welfare / Container / Mobile Plant Licence
Residential Licence £80

2)  For placing materials in a Residents Parking Bay OR Pay and Display Bay.

Licences in these locations are issued for any number of requested days (up to a maximum of 28 days per licence).

If the materials are placed on the highway where parking controls apply, additional charges are payable for the suspension of these controls. These charges are paid on top of the standard fee and renewal fees stated above and apply for both commercial and residential licence types.

Parking restriction type Daily suspension charge Plus additional admin tee
in a residents' parking bay £25.00 per day £25.00
in a pay and display bay £25.00 per day £25.00

There are additional charges if materials are to be placed in any of the following locations:

  • Worple Road, Wimbledon (outside and opposite 'Elys')
  • High Street, Wimbledon Village
  • Church Road, Wimbledon Village
  • The Broadway, Wimbledon

These charges are calculated by Parking Services, please contact them by emailing They can also provide additional information about dispensation and waivers.

Site meetings and inspections

Prior to a licence being approved a site meeting is arranged by the highways officer with the resident, builder or contractor. The site is inspected for any prior damage and any additional conditions are agreed onsite. The site is also inspected throughout the licence period for safety and compliance with licence conditions. A final site inspection is carried out at the end of the licence period, once the materials have been removed, to establish if there is any damage to the highway.​

Materials must not be placed onsite before inspection has taken place and before the licence has been issued.