Update - 24 August 2012 - Implementation
Following the statutory consultation carried out in May 2012, The representations received along with officers’ recommendations were reported to the Cabinet Member for Environmental Sustainability and Regeneration on 8 June 2012. After Careful consideration a decision has been made to proceed with the implementation of the proposals.
Formal consultation - May 2012
We are carrying out a statutory consultation on its intention to make changes to the pay and display bays, loading bays and waiting restrictions in Leopold Road out side the shopping parade. Traders from the shopping parade invited Councillor Andrew Judge, the Cabinet Member for Environmental Sustainability and Regeneration and Officers to attend a meeting on 7 February 2012 to discuss proposals to improve and better manage parking and loading provisions on this stretch of the road. The discussion included:
- Hours of operation of the pay and display.
- Making changes to the Tariff in Leopold Road, Kenilworth Avenue and Strathearn Road.
- Change the loading/unloading times to better serve the businesses.
The proposed changes are detailed below:
- The hours of operation of the pay and display bays in Leopold Road will be changed from Monday to Friday 11am-3pm to Monday to Saturday, 8.30am–6.30pm.
- The hourly tariff in Leopold Road will be increased from £1.10 per hour to £1.60 per hour.
- The hourly tariff in Strathearn Road and Kenilworth Avenue will be reduced from £2.00 per hour to £1.10 per hour and the hours of operation will remain unchanged (Monday to Friday 11am-3pm).
- Loading and unloading within the bays adjacent to numbers 10/12 and 28/30 Leopold Road will only take place between 11am and 3pm. Outside these times these spaces become pay and display bays and the tariff detailed above will apply.
- The single yellow line restrictions on the south side of Leopold Road between Alexandra Road and Woodside, in Gap Road at its junction with Alexandra Road across the Bridge and western side of Strathearn Road between Leopold Road and Waldemar Road will be increased to double yellow lines. This will remove obstructive parking and improve safety at all times.
- To introduce 20 minutes' free parking only at the Pay and Display (P and D) bays on Leopold Road outside the Shopping Parade. The P and D machine will issue a 20 minutes' free ticket when you push the green button. Please note that it is an offence to obtain any additional 20 minutes' free ticket.
What happens next
A Notice of our intentions to introduce the above measures will be published in a local newspaper (The Guardian), London Gazette and posted on lamp columns in the vicinity. Representations against the proposals described in this Notice must be made in writing to the
Head of Street Scene and Waste, Merton Civic Centre, London Road, Morden, Surrey, SM4 5DX or email
firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than
25 May 2012 quoting reference
ES/SGE/LEOPOLD. Objections must relate only to the elements of the scheme that are subject to this statutory consultation.
All representations along with Officers’ comments and recommendations will be presented in a report to the Cabinet Member for Environmental Sustainability and Regeneration. Please note that responses to any representations received will not be made until a final decision is made by the Cabinet Member. We are required to give weight to the nature and content of your representations and not necessarily the quantity. Your reasons are, therefore, important to us.
A copy of the proposed TMO, a plan identifying the areas affected by the proposals and the Council’s Statement of Reasons can be inspected at the Merton Link, Merton Civic Centre, London Road, Morden, Surrey, SM4 5DX during the Council’s normal office hours Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. A copy can also be inspected at Wimbledon Library.
Traffic and Highways
Merton Civic Centre
Telephone: 020 8545 3214
Fax: 020 8545 4865