A comment or objection to a planning application is called a "representation".

To comment on, or object to a current planning application, please submit it by email to: planning.representations@merton.gov.uk.

You should include the following details:

Please note that comments submitted to the council cannot be treated as confidential and will be made available for public inspection without exception.


What happens next

All comments will be passed on to the relevant planning officer for consideration.

If you send an email then you will receive an automated acknowledgement. If you send a written representation then you will not receive a confirmation letter.

We are no longer uploading planning representations due to risks associated with publishing personal information. If you want to view the planning representations please contact the planning team planning team on the email address provided above.

We must allow a minimum of 21 days before determining an application to allow time for comments to be submitted - this is known as the statutory timeframe for consultation. We also accept comments made between the statutory limit and the date of decision, where practical.

Representations are kept on file with the application and form part of the public record which must be presented upon request.

If an application is due to be determined at the Planning Applications Committee this means that local councillors will make the decision directly. Applicants, agents, and those who have had a representation acknowledged, will be informed by letter. Anyone who wishes to speak at the Planning Applications Committee should contact the case officer in the first instance; or email planning.representations@merton.gov.uk.


Certificates of lawful development or use

Applications for certificates of lawful development or use are not subject to consultation requirements and, therefore, we will not send letters or display notices for these sorts of applications. Any representations received about certificate applications will be passed to the case officer but can have no impact upon the decision-making process.



If you wish to comment on a planning appeal then you must send your representations directly to the Planning Inspectorate.

Comment on an appeal (GOV.UK website)