Applications to hire our sports pitches or be on the waiting list should be made through our website.
Section 1 – Conditions on activity and site
- Training areas are booked by the hour.
- Grass pitches are booked by the match.
- Game lengths vary dependant on the type of activity
- Weekends operate on a three hour basis, which includes two hours play time, and one hour change time. This is applicable for Football, Rugby and Lacrosse.
- A cricket match booking is for 7 hours. This includes a maximum of 6 hours playing time and 1 hour for changing and mid game refreshments.
- Pitches and changing accommodation must be vacated at the end of the match
- Failure to do so will incur a supplementary charge based upon the hourly charge for the booking which the hirer will be invoiced for.
- The London Borough of Merton reserves the right to decline booking requests or to limit the amount of time played during a booking if it deems that this is in the long term interests of the sustainability of the playing surface and/or the safety of those using it
- Changing accommodation where available is provided as part of the booking
Section 2 – Sub Letting
Sub-letting of pitches or facilities is not permitted without written authorisation as part of a lease agreement. Bookings are non-transferable
- Any hirer to be found sub-letting pitches without written authorisation by a member of Merton council will be subject to a termination of their booking(s).
- Any hirer sub-letting pitches will forfeit any monetary contribution they have made towards their booking due to the loss of those pitches for usage by others.
- If the hirer has been subject to VAT Exemption. They will be invoiced for the VAT inclusive rate for all of their bookings.
- The hirer’s online account will be terminated removing any benefits they would benefit from by being a regular hirer.
Section 3 – Cancellations
The London Borough of Merton reserves the right to close any pitch or ground during any day or days on which it has been let.
- If the hirer cancels a booking 5 working days or more in advance the hirer will be able to book an alternative date for the same activity using a credit. Money will not be refunded. All credits will have a pre-arranged expiry date – normally the end of the season.
If the hirer has opted for VAT Exemption, any cancellation will be deemed a breach of your agreement and the hirer will be invoiced for games played and the remaining games at the inclusive VAT rate.
- If the London Borough of Merton cancels a booking due to pitch conditions or extreme weather, the hirer will be able to book an alternative date for the same activity using a credit for the same value as your initial purchase.
Section 4 – Use of facilities
- All persons using the council facilities shall behave in a manner that does not cause injury, damage or nuisance to property, staff or other users of the park or ground. All persons shall conform to any regulations or byelaws in force with respect to the grounds and comply with any instructions they may receive from the ground staff or any other officials appointed by the council.
- The club will be responsible for wilful or negligent damage caused to the pitch, equipment, building, fences or any other of the council’s property by their own members, or the members of a club against whom they are playing.
- Clubs must ensure that they treat the facilities in a proper manner i.e. no washing of boots in showers, kicking of footballs in buildings or leaving litter e.g. drinks cans, sweet wrappers etc. No glass bottles or glass in any form must be taken into the changing facilities
- Public liability insurance is compulsory for all clubs. The insurance must cover clubs for public liability claims arising from the use of the facilities, which are the subject of a hiring agreement. The minimum liability cover must be 10 million pounds.
- No excisable liquor shall be brought into the grounds except by permission of the council in writing
- All hirers must comply with the council equal opportunities policy wherein they do not exercise any discrimination on the grounds of race, nationality, colour, ethnicity, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, creed or disability.
- A hirer failing to comply with any of these regulations and conditions will be liable to forfeit the use of the pitch, ground or facility without any adjustment of fees in respect thereof, such forfeiture to be without prejudice to any other claims or remedies which L.B.M. may have against the hirer.
Section 5 - Regular bookings
Sports Club – Regular User | Booking requirements.
Our regular teams will get priority access to make bookings, before they become available to the general public. In order to become a regular team, a team must have been booking for us for a minimum of two years without issue.
Once accepted as a regular user, the hirer adheres to the following conditions:
- Each team must have a single email address for contact
- Each team must have the ability to pay by payment card online.
- The team must either
a. Book games at the normal casual rate as and when required by the teams.
b. Make and pay for at least 10 bookings at one time as this will result in a VAT saving (if hirer choose to opt-in – See
All bookings must be paid for at point of booking
a. Provisional bookings are not offered
- When opting for 3b (Vat Exemption), the booking must be made by a club that meets the following conditions:
a. The club must have a constitution
b. The club must have regular AGM meetings
c. The club must have been in existence for 2 years or more
d. Have annual accounts
In order to qualify for our previously named “regular rate”, the hirer will need to comply with the following rules.
- The series of bookings consist of 10 or more sessions
- Each session is for the same sport or activity
- Each session is in the same place, although a different pitch, court or lane, or different number of pitches, courts or lanes is acceptable.
- The interval between each session is at least 1 day but not more than 14 days. The duration of the sessions may be varied; however there is no exception for intervals greater than 14 days through the closure of the facility for any reason.
- The series is to be paid for as a whole and there is written evidence to the fact.
- This must include evidence that payment is to be made in full whether or not the right to use the facility for any specific session is actually exercised. Provision for a refund given by the provider in the event of the unforeseen non-availability of their facility would not affect this condition,
- The facilities are let out to a school, club, association or an organisation representing affiliated clubs or constituent associations, such as a local league.
- The person to whom the facilities are let has exclusive use of them during the sessions.
To take advantage of the VAT exempt rate, the hirer must meet all of the above conditions. If your booking qualifies, the hirer will automatically be offered the VAT exempt rate, if the hirer wish to opt out of being automatically offered the rate the hirer must contact the office -
but please note that VAT exempt bookings cannot be amended or cancelled by your team, so all dates must be firm if the hirer choose to take this up.