Facilities

Opening hours

DayOpenClose
Monday - Friday8 AMDusk
Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays9 AMDusk

Location

Cottenham Park is located in Melbury Gardens, West Wimbledon.

Transport

  • Trains: Raynes Park station
  • Buses: 200, 131, 57

History

Cottenham Park is named after Charles Pepys, Lord Cottenham and although the estate was sold off for housing development, although by 1893 much of the area between Cottenham Park Road and Cambridge Road still remained largely undeveloped. Development accelerated once trams began to serve the area in 1907.
The recreation ground opened in 1897 as Melbury Gardens and was the first such amenity to be provided in the locality. A map of 1920 shows the recreation ground laid out much as it is today: from the entrance on the south-east corner is a line of plane trees along the east boundary and an area of grass crossed by a diagonal path leading to a hedge, beyond which the land opens out to playing fields which forms the main area of the park. Amenities include a modern pavilion, and tennis courts. There are perimeter paths and trees, including mature oaks.
The park has an area of 3.21 hectares and is sited within Raynes Park ward.
In 2010 the Cottenham Park Friends Group, working with Merton Council, were awarded £43,000 by the Marathon Trust, to refurbish the play area and the surrounding parkland.

Hire

Hire this park for your event

Contact us

idverde
Cheam Depot
Cheam Park
Tudor Close
Cheam
SM3 8QS
Tel: 020 3876 8806