Merton's 18 allotment sites provide a unique outdoor leisure activity for borough residents. The work you put in will help keep you fit and as an extra reward you'll see the weekly shopping bills drop as you produce your own fresh vegetables.
Apply for an allotment
Anyone who lives in Merton can apply for an allotment plot. Due to the high demand for allotments in Merton, we can no longer accept applications from those living outside the borough and you can only apply to be on one waiting list.
Currently, all of our allotment sites have waiting lists. Waiting lists are closed when the waiting period is five years or more or there are more people waiting than plots available on the site. All waiting lists are reviewed regularly.
Before choosing a site, please check the waiting list to see if your desired site has an open waiting list.
Allotment waiting list
To apply for an allotment with vacancies please contact us.
The allotment office is open Monday - Friday from 9am to 2pm
Tel: 020 3876 8806
For more information about application see the Allotments Protocol
- Our allotment sizes range from approximately 125 square metres/ 30ft x 45ft (5 rods) to approximately 250 square metres/ 30ft x 90ft (10 rods). There are smaller plots available on some sites.
- A rod or perch, as it was also known, equivalent to 25m², was a traditional Saxon land measure and survives in the twentieth century.
Fees and charges
Basic rental fees
|Standard Allotment Rent|| £22.00|
Disabled persons and those aged 60 and over and not in full time employment. Holders of ES40 or recipients of supplementary benefits, juniors.
This year's water rate has been increased to £3.36 per 25m² (1 rod) to reflect recent increases in water prices levied by our suppliers. Please note in advance that next year's annual water charges will be based on actual consumption figures at each site during the previous 12 months, that is, measured consumption figures at each site during 2019/2020, divided by the number of tenanted plots. This has proved necessary in order to better affect water conservation and reduce water waste. It is therefore in the interests of all tenants to ensure that practical water conservation measures are applied at all times and that waste water is minimised.
Concessions are allowed on a maximum of 250m² (10 rods) per tenant and only apply to London Borough of Merton residents or those working in or attending full time education in the borough. To be eligible for a concession on allotment rent, proof of entitlement must be received no later than 1 September to receive a discount for the coming year commencing 1 October.
Between 1 October - Feb 28/29 tenants will be charged a full year's rent. From March 1– 31 July tenants will be charged for half the rental year. Invoices for allotment rent are due October 1 annually.
Payments can be made via our online service.
You can find your nearest allotment on the Map of allotment sites in Merton
Brooklands Allotments, Brooklands Avenue, London SW18 4RW (View Map)
Cannizaro Allotments, off Camp Road, London SW19 4UE (View Map)
Cannon Hill Allotments, also known as The Paddock Allotments, off Parkway, London SW20 9HE (View Map)
Cottenham Park Allotments, Cambridge Road, West Wimbledon, London SW20 0RW
- (View Map)
Durnsford Allotments. Durnsford Road, Wimbledon SW19 8HQ (View Map)
Eastfields Allotments, Eastfields Road, Mitcham, CR4 2LR (View Map)
Effra Allotments, Effra Road, Wimbledon SW19 8PA (View Map)
Eveline Allotments, Eveline Road, Mitcham, CR4 3HH (View Map)
George Hill East and West, Holne Chase, Morden, SM4 5QA (View Map)
Haslemere Allotments, Haslemere Avenue, London SW18 4RP (View Map)
Havelock Allotments, Havelock Road, Wimbledon, SW19 8HD (View Map)
Martin Way East and West Allotments, Martin Way, London SW20 8DG (View Map)
New Barns Allotments, New Barns Avenue, Mitcham, CR4 1LJ (View Map)
Phipps Bridge Allotments, Phipps Bridge Road, Colliers Wood, London CR4 5JD
- (View Map)
Tamworth Farm Allotments, also known as Rose Avenue Allotments, London Road, Mitcham, CR4 3JY (View Map)
Thurleston Allotments, Thurleston Avenue, Morden, SM4 4HW (View Map)
Western Road Allotments, Western Road, Mitcham, CR4 3BD (View Map)
Allotment association representatives
- Provide notice boards on all allotments for posting information relating to the allotment
- Publish prices of plots on our website and send details each year to our existing tenants.
- Rent plots to new tenants on a fair and transparent basis and to existing tenants annually.
- Mark out your plot if it is overgrown and you are unable to distinguish the boundary.
- Offer a rent free period (in Year 2) if your new plot is overgrown at the time of allocation.
- Send out annual invoices to be with tenants by 1 October.
- Provide two waste bays, one for material which can be composted and one for waste, where practical.
- Remove the contents of the waste bays at regular intervals.
- Ensure that the water supply is turned on every spring and turned off every autumn.
- Regularly maintain the main site footpaths.
- Encourage organic gardening to reduce the use of pesticides.
- Improve access for people with disabilities.
- Support the development of individual allotment societies.
This document summarises how the waiting list operates, and some of your responsibilities as an allotment-holder.
Summary of Allotments Protocol
Tel: 020 3876 8806