Skip Navigation LinksMerton Council ❮ Benefits, Council Tax and housing ❮ Housing advice ❮ 

Public health advice - housing

The Environmental Health (Housing) team provides advice and information to private tenants on housing issues which may affect health whether in a single family dwelling or a shared house (or house in multiple occupation, HMO).

If you are experiencing problems in your rented home and your landlord is unable or unwilling to deal with these, we can inspect your home and if necessary, serve notice on your landlord requiring them to take suitable action. However, we expect tenants to inform their landlords of problems first before contacting Environmental Health.

When contacting Environmental Health to ask for assistance, please have the name, address and contact details of your landlord as these will be needed from you.

In addition, the Environmental Health (Housing) team also licenses houses in multiple occupation.

Licensing of houses in multiple occupation

We are also responsible for ensuring that buildings are properly designed and constructed to ensure the health, safety, welfare and convenience of people using them. The Building Control team may be able to help you

Building Control


Related websites

Contact us

Environmental Health
Environment and Regeneration
London Borough of Merton
Merton Civic Centre
London Road

Telephone: 020 8545 3212