You need to show an accepted form of photographic identification (ID) when voting at a polling station in:

  • UK Parliament elections, including general elections, by-elections and recall petitions
  • local elections and by-elections (including councils, the Mayor of London and the London Assembly)
  • neighbourhood planning referendums
  • local authority referendums in England (including Council Tax increase referendums)

If you’re a proxy voter (voting on behalf of someone else), you’ll need to show your own photo ID, not that of the person you’re voting on behalf of.

If you vote by post, you won’t need to provide photo ID, as your identity is verified by your signature and date of birth.

Accepted types of photo ID

View the list of accepted types of photo ID (GOV.UK)

Voter Authority Certificates

If you don’t have, or don’t wish to use, one of the other accepted forms of photographic ID listed above, you can apply for a Voter Authority Certificate (VAC).

Elections on 4 July 2024: 
The deadline to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate was 5pm on Wednesday 26 June

Apply for a Voter Authority Certificate

This document is free of charge and contains your name and photograph.

You can’t use a Voter Authority Certificate as proof of identity for any purpose other than for voting.

If you’ve changed your name

The name on your ID must match your name on the electoral register. If it does not, you’ll need to either:

  • register to vote again with your new details, or
  • take a document with you to vote that proves you’ve changed your name (for example, a marriage certificate)

Small differences do not matter – for example, if your ID says ‘Jim Smith’ instead of ‘James Smith’.

Find out more

Electoral Commission - Voter ID