​Temporary changes have been made to street trading nationally. Pavement licences are designed to make it easier for premises serving food and drink to seat and serve customers while coronavirus social distancing guidelines remain in place.

If you wish to place a display of goods or tables and chairs on the public highway outside your premises, you will require a street trading shop front licence.

When considering your application, we will inspect the area to ensure no obstruction or nuisance could be caused to other highway users. If it is decided there is sufficient space on the highway, the area will be put forward for designation as part of the application process.

Private forecourts

Some premises own an area outside their premises and these private forecourts do not currently require a licence in Merton.

However, if the owner of the premises allows another trader to operate from their forecourt, or sells goods that differ from those sold in the premises, then a licence will be needed.

If you are in doubt about whether you need a licence, please contact us.

These licences are issued following a consultation process and last for a period one year. They are renewed annually.

Contact us

Street Trading
Regulatory Services Partnership
London Borough of Merton
Merton Civic Centre
London Road

Telephone: 020 8545 3969
Email: licensing@merton.gov.uk