Rats on council property

If you see a rat in a council maintained building, and you know where the nest is, please telephone us on 020 8274 4902.


Our policy is not to take any action on urban foxes. This policy has been in place for many years and is in line with neighbouring local authorities, and with guidance set out by central government.

The Fox Project charity provides advice on deterring foxes and can deal with sick and injured foxes.

Insect infestations from commercial premises

We can investigate insect infestations from industrial, trade or business premises if the infestation could be a ‘statutory nuisance’. For the issue to count as a statutory nuisance it must do one of the following:

  • unreasonably and substantially interfere with the use or enjoyment of a home or other premises
  • injure health or be likely to injure health

If we decide that the infestation is a statutory nuisance we can serve an abatement notice (usually on the person responsible).

Report a nuisance insect infestation from commercial premises

Advice on dealing with other pests

We do not offer a pest control service for private properties.

If you own your own home you will need to contact a private pest control company. If you rent from a housing association or a private landlord, speak to them about treatment in the first instance.

Reputable companies will be members of the British Pest Control Association or National Pest Technicians Association and will have a health and safety quality standard such as CHAS.

Advice on dealing with pests

The British Pest Control Association gives advice on dealing with the most common household pests: