It may be necessary to cancel or reschedule appointments and ceremonies at short notice.
By booking you agree that you understand and accept the risk of late notice cancellations or rescheduling.
Where to register
A birth must be registered within 42 days, in the district where the baby was born.
The London Borough of Merton does not have a maternity hospital. If the baby was born in a local hospital please contact the appropriate register office:
- St Helier Hospital - contact Sutton Register Office: 020 8779 6770
- St George's Hospital - contact Wandsworth Register Office: 020 8871 6120
- Kingston Hospital - contact Kingston upon Thames Register Office: 0208 547 4600
To register a birth that occurred in Merton please contact us to book an appointment at Merton Register Office.
Who should go
It is important that the correct person or people register the birth. This is usually a parent or parents, but please read Who can register a birth (GOV.UK website) for full details.
What to bring
It is helpful if you can bring your passport or birth certificate and if married your marriage certificate to the birth registration. This is not essential but will help us to ensure your correct details are registered.
Fees for birth certificates
If the event occurred in Merton we can produce copies of certificates for the following fees:
|Service||Cost per certificate||Postage - Recorded||Postage - Special||Postage - European||Postage - Worldwide|
|Standard 5 day||£11.00||£2.50||£8.00||£10.00||£11.00|
|1 hour||£45.00||Collection only||Collection only||Collection only||Collection only|
See Registering a birth (GOV.UK website) for more detailed information about the registration process.
Monday to Friday 9.00am - 4.30pm, except for the third Thursday of every month when the office closes at 12.30pm.
Christmas and New Year opening hours
- Monday 25 December 2023 - Closed
- Tuesday 26 December 2023 - Closed
- Wednesday 27 December 2023 - Normal Hours
- Thursday 28 December 2023 - Normal Hours
- Friday 29 December 2023 - Normal Hours
- Monday 1 January 2024 - Closed
- Tuesday 2 January onwards - Normal Hours
Merton Register Office
Morden Park House
Telephone: 020 8274 5777