Cabinet Member for Regeneration, Environment and Housing in consultation with Ward Councillors has agreed to the following road safety measures:
1. To introduce a 20mph speed limit. Associative signs with a virtual speed table in thermoplastic road marking outside the school entrance. This will give the motorist the appearance of a physical vertical ‘traffic calming’ feature and raise their awareness to further reduce vehicle speeds in the ‘zone’ specifically on approach to the school entrance where children and parents congregate.
2. The implementation of junction entry tables with Woodland Way and Hillcross Avenue. This will provide a safer area for pedestrians to cross and enable vehicles to drive at lower speeds with improved visibility of the junction ‘ahead’ where all road users especially ‘school children’ are waiting to cross.
Further, the footway build-out at its junction with Hillcross Avenue will physically tighten this locality to assist in ‘safer’ vehicle turning movements at reduced speeds and provide a safer area with more space for pedestrians to cross a shorter distance.
3. The introduction of some road markings such as ‘slow’, ‘20mph’ and school child legends.
4. To install school flashing signs on both approaches to the school entrance. This will raise motorist alertness to the presence of children on route to and from their school.
The statutory consultation to introduce the following changes starts on 19th January 2017 and ends on
10th February 2017.
- The introduction of a 20mph speed limit
- The introduction of junction entry tables
All representations must be made in writing to
Please refer to the newsletter, plan and notices using the links below.
Traffic & Highways
Merton Civic Centre
Morden SM4 5DX
Telephone: 020 8545 3840
Fax: 020 8545 4865