In an emergency

If water is entering your property or there is a risk to life, call the emergency services on 999.

If you have been flooded and need to speak to someone for more advice please contact the Emergency Planning Team:

  • During work hours: 020 8274 4901
  • Out of working hours: 020 8274 5940

Report overflowing drains

Flooding caused by overflowing drains on Red Routes (A24, A298, A217) should be reported to Transport for London at


Flooding from rivers

Main rivers

The Environment Agency is responsible for managing flooding from larger rivers, called 'main rivers'. Within Merton these are:

  • River Wandle
  • Beverley Brook
  • Pyl Brook (inc. East Branch)
  • River Graveney
  • Bunce's Ditch
  • The Pickle
  • Wandle Park Ditch
  • Figges Marsh Ditch.

Flooding from Main Rivers should be reported to the Environment Agency's incident hotline on 0800 80 70 60 (24-hour).

To listen to recorded flood warning information for your area or to speak to someone for advice, call 0845 988 1188 (24-hour).

Other rivers

Smaller watercourses, not classified as 'main rivers' fall under  our responsibility of Merton Council. Please contact us at


Flooding from a public sewer

Flooding from a public sewer should be reported to Thames Water on 0800 714 614 (24-hour).

Thames Water website


Flooding from a burst water main or water service pipe

There are two water companies responsible for supplying water to Merton. In the event that a water main bursts or there is flooding or a leak from a water service pipe the relevant company should be contacted on: