​​More tips, advice and support for organising a successful event can be found on the Streets Alive website​.


Can Merton refuse my application?

Yes, if there are planned road works or other activities that would adversely affect either the event itself or the planned works programmed. However, we would seek to find alternative dates when the event could be held. In addition, we could also refuse if we had concerns about safety. Before the party can take place it will need to be agreed by us and will require you to complete an indemnity which is part of the application.


Can we close the road?

Probably, if the street is not used by a large amount of through traffic, is not a bus route or a priority for emergency vehicles. If you do close the road we ask you put up signs advising drivers and make sure any barriers are supervised so they can be quickly moved if required. However, if your event is on one of the roads on the priority network, it may still be possible to hold the event but you will need to contact the Network Management team by email at networkcoordination@merton.gov.uk or phone 020 8545 3196 or 020 8545 3176.

The closure of the road and all signs are the responsibility of the event organisers. Barriers and signs used to close the road must be easily removed should access be required by the Emergency Services. Road signs can be hired from shops such as HSS or through a traffic management company. Alternatively the Streets Alive, Street Party website provides signs that can be made which are suitable for use during daylight hours.


Do we need insurance cover?

We believe that public liability insurance cover for a small residential street party is a good idea. The costs can always be split between residents.


Do I need to do a risk assessment?

Not formally, but it is important that all residents consider and minimise any risks to people, equipment or the road. Thinking about how you can minimise things going wrong and having a back-up plan are vital to ensuring success. What would you do if there was bad weather? Can you use plastic plates and cups rather than glass? Have you made sure an adult is in charge of the barbeque, is there adult supervision at all times when using any play equipment?


We are serving alcoholic drinks - do we need an alcohol licence?

No, licences are only required if alcohol is sold. At a private party, sharing drinks with your neighbours does not require a licence. If you did want to sell alcohol, you will need a Temporary Event Notice.


We are playing music - do we need an entertainment licence?

No - if your street party is a private party for residents and the music is not advertised in advance to attract people and you're not making money, then there is no need for a licence for your music, whether it's live or recorded. Make sure the music is not too loud, long or late to avoid causing nuisance to others.


Do we need a permit to serve food?

No - as a private party, you do not need a licence to sell food.


Do we need to clean up afterwards?

Yes, you will need to clean up after your street party. It's your street, your party, so keep your local area clean and tidy. Let people know in advance what time the party will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling.