London Borough of Merton
Terms and Conditions for the purchase and use of a Trade Permit
1. Permit Information
Definition of a Trade permit
A Trade Permit is intended for use by businesses or tradespersons. It may be used in every controlled parking zone (CPZ) in Merton. It allows parking in permit bays during the restricted period in controlled parking zones (CPZs) throughout Merton.
Please note: the planning conditions for some new build or change of use housing, do not allow residents to apply for parking permits. Applications will be checked with the relevant parties, registers databases etc.
Applicants who have purchased their permit from the 14th January 2020 are not required to display a permit. The equipment our officers use will provide access to your permit details for all verification purposes.
Please note that all diesel vehicles attract a surcharge in addition to the permit charge.
2. Who can apply
Who can apply?
a) Business owners or Tradespersons who are based within Merton
b) Business owners or Tradespersons who are undertaking work on a property within Merton
c) Business owners or tradespersons who own a passenger or goods carrying vehicle (or have access to a vehicle via their visitors) that does not exceed 5.25 metres in overall length or 2.28 metres in height.
d) Applicants that do not have 3 or more outstanding/unpaid penalty charge notices (PCNs) against the vehicle, within Merton. We define an outstanding PCN as a PCN that has progressed beyond the point where representations can be considered
What needs to be provided?
Merton Council will issue Trade permits to organisations/tradespersons:
- that occupy premises within Merton or are undertaking work within Merton on a property within a controlled parking zone:
- that can evidence why they require a Trade permit for the day-to-day running of their business
- copy of current contract(s) for work at address(es) within controlled parking zones within Merton
- copy of current instruction(s) from resident(s) or property owner(s) of address(es) within Merton and/or copy of the planning permission.
Proof of business (as below for new applications).
- The company secretary or director must provide evidence, which confirms they are registered as a business at Companies House, VAT registered or pay business rates for the business premises within Merton.
We will ask all permit holders to resubmit proof of eligibility every year, this is to ensure our records are up to date. However, random eligibility checks may be undertaken and you may be requested to present proof of ongoing works/proof of business within Merton during the 12 month period.
Please note that after your supporting documentation (for proof of business) has been validated for the purposes of your permit application; it will be deleted in accordance with Merton's policies and data protection legislation.
3. Proof of vehicle ownership
Please provide one of the following:
- A copy of the vehicle registration document (V5C), or car insurance document that includes your name and the address for the business on behalf of whom you are applying for a permit.
- A copy of the Hire or Lease agreement from a recognised/reputable organisation that includes the name and the address of the business.
- A current insurance document that includes your name and the address of the business This insurance document must state that the primary location the vehicle is being kept and must match the address of the business.
- Bill of sale – if you have just purchased a vehicle and are not yet the registered keeper, we will accept a bill of sale (with your name and address). You must within 6 weeks after provide a copy of the V5C to prevent your permit from being cancelled.
- (if vehicle registered to a company) a letter of authority on letter headed paper of the company, signed by an executive or director confirming the vehicle details, that you have sole use of the vehicle.
- (if the vehicle is leased from a company) a copy of the agreement from a recognised/reputable organisation with your name and address must be provided as shown on the agreement. If you change or renew the lease, please inform us immediately and provide a copy of the new agreement.
Permit valid only for the registered vehicle
A permit is valid only for the specific vehicle registration given in the application. Failure to insert vehicle registration details correctly, may result in a PCN being issued.
Please note there is a surcharge for diesel vehicles.
Please note that after your supporting documentation (for proof of vehicle ownership) has been validated for the purposes of your permit application; it will be deleted in accordance with Merton's policies and data protection legislation.
4. How long can I have my permit for?
Length of permit:
- Your permit will be valid for 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months or 12 months dependent on the permit you apply for.
- Applications will be checked to ensure the works being undertaken reflect the length of permit being purchased and further evidence may be requested.
5. Where can I park and use my permit?
You may park:
- In a Permit Holder Bay within the controlled parking zones in which you are working.
- Shared Use Bay – these bays may be used by pay and display customers or as permit holder bays at any time. However, in certain areas permit holders may only use these bays at the times shown on the signs.
- Please ensure that when the vehicle is parked, it is fully contained within the parking bay.
- A trade permit does not guarantee the availability of a parking space.
- You may not park in a Disabled Bay as these are only for the use of blue badge holders who display a valid Blue Badge.
- Merton Council reserves the right to suspend any parking bay as required.
- Please always check the signs before you park – it is your responsibility to ensure that you are parked correctly and in an appropriate bay.
Trade permits are not valid in the permit or shared use bays in the following streets:
- Morden – Camrose Close, Hatherleigh Close, Links Avenue, Queens Place, Queens Road, Stanley Road, Woodville Road and York close
- Wimbledon – Gladstone Road (junction of Sir Cyril Black Way to Pelham Road), Graham Road, Hartfield Crescent, Hartfield Road, Herbert Road, Palmerston Road (junction of Broadway to Pelham Road), Pelham Road (junction of Gladstone Road to junction of Southey Road), Russell Road (junction of Broadway to Pelham Road).
6. Change of details, including refunds and additional charges.
- If you change your vehicle you must update your details online. A surcharge will be applicable if you move to a diesel vehicle from a petrol vehicle.
A refund may be due:
- If you cancel a permit before it expires, we will calculate the refund due based unused days remaining until the expiry date of the permit, commencing from the date that we are notified.
7. Prevention of Fraud
Please note the following:
- It is a criminal offence if, with intent to deceive, you knowingly make a false statement, supply false documentation or forge documents to get a trade parking permit for yourself or others. Merton Council may prosecute if this is believed to be the case. A refund will not be given in such cases.
In order to ensure the integrity of the permit scheme, Merton Council may undertake sample checks to verify an applicant's details, including requesting copy documents as appropriate.
8. Conditions of use
- Merton Council reserves the right to withhold or withdraw a permit if the permit holder:
- fails to comply with the issuing conditions
- fails to update information relating to your e-permit.
- verbally or physically threatens or attacks any Civil Enforcement Officer or any other authorised Merton Council employee
- applicants that have 3 or more outstanding/unpaid penalty charge notices (PCNs) against the vehicle, within Merton. We define an outstanding PCN as a PCN that has progressed beyond the point where representations can be considered.
Failure to have a valid permit or inform us of a change of vehicle may result in a Penalty Charge Notice being issued.
By applying for a trade permit within Merton Council, you are; as part of your application, accepting the terms and conditions set out in sections 1 – 8 of this document.
10. Data protection
Please note that the London Borough of Merton is under a duty to protect the public funds under its administration and may therefore use information you have provided for the purpose of the prevention or detection of fraud. Merton Council may also disclose any such information to appropriate agencies for this purpose.
Please note that after your supporting documentation (for proof of business and/or vehicle ownership) has been validated for the purposes of your permit application; it will be deleted in accordance with Merton's policies and data protection legislation.