We are introducing new emissions-based charges for resident parking permits. The date of introduction for the new charges will be announced shortly.
To find the new charge for a resident or visitor parking permit you will need to know:
There are two parts to the charge:
- location and CO2 emission based charge
- ULEZ-based surcharge
1. Location and CO2 emissions based charge
Find your parking zone's 'tier' and 'length of enforcement' in the first table below, then look up the permit charge based on your car's CO2 emissions in the second table.
Parking zone tiers and enforcement lengths
|W3, W4||Tier 1||Long|
|2F, 3E, 3F, 4F, 5F, VC, VOn, VOs, VOt, W2, W5, W6, W7, P3||Tier 1||Medium |
|P1, P2 ,P2s||Tier 1||Short |
|CW5, MP4||Tier 2||Long|
|CW, CW1, CW2, CW4, M1, M2, M3, MP1, MP2, MP3, S1, S2, S3, SW, SW1, A1, RP, RPE, RPN, RPS, H1, H2, VN, VSW, VSW2, W1, VNe, VNs||Tier 2||Medium |
|RPW, RPC, RPC1, VSW1, VQ, CH.||Tier 2||Short |
|MTC, WB1||Tier 3||Long|
|CW3, GC, GC1, GC2, GC3, WB2, MTC1, MTC2||Tier 3||Medium |
|MT||Tier 3||Short |
Resident permit charges
The charges below are for the first annual resident permit at an address.
Resident permits issued for a duration of 6 months are subject to the charge on a pro-rata basis.
|Tier 1 Long||£20||£100||£110||£120||£130||£140||£145||£150||£210||£300||£370||£450||£540|
|Tier 1 Medium||£20||£70||£80||£90||£100||£110||£115||£120||£180||£270||£340||£420||£510|
|Tier 1 Short||£20||£60||£70||£80||£90||£100||£105||£110||£170||£260||£330||£410||£500|
|Tier 2 Long||£20||£80||£90||£100||£110||£120||£125||£130||£190||£280||£350||£430||£520|
|Tier 2 Medium||£20||£60||£70||£80||£90||£100||£105||£110||£170||£260||£330||£410||£500|
|Tier 2 Short||£20||£50||£60||£70||£80||£90||£95||£100||£160||£250||£320||£400||£490|
|Tier 3 Long||£20||£40||£50||£60||£70||£80||£85||£90||£150||£240||£310||£390||£480|
|Tier 3 Medium||£20||£30||£40||£50||£60||£70||£75||£80||£140||£230||£300||£380||£470|
|Tier 3 Short||£20||£25||£30||£40||£50||£60||£65||£70||£130||£220||£290||£370||£460|
The charge for each additional 12 month permit at the same address will be £50 more than the previous permit, or £25 more for a 6 month permit.
2. ULEZ-based surcharge
A surcharge of £150 for a 12 month permit (or £75 for 6 months) applies to:
- petrol vehicles registered before 2006, and
- diesel vehicles registered before 2015.
Below are 3 examples of cars and how the proposal will affect cost.
|Tier 1 Long||Fiat Doblo 1.9L||Diesel||2005||153||I||£210||£150||£360|
|Tier 2 Medium||Audi A1 1L||Petrol||2017||97||E||£90||£0||£90|
|Tier 3 Medium||Ford Fiesta 1L||Petrol||2019||113||G||£75||£0||£75|
Example 1 (Fiat Doblo 1.9 diesel 2005)
- The property is in Tier 1 because its closer to good public transport links and the zone is enforced for over 10 hours in a day the existing premium is also applicable.
- In this example the car is a diesel manufactured before 2006 with only a Euro rating of 3 or 4, therefore liable to the £150 ULEZ based charge due to the NOx and PM emissions it emits.
- The vehicle also emits 153 g/km CO2 emissions and is in band I of the government's tax bands and liable for a £210 permit charge.
- Total charge £360. In this example there is an increase of £60 in the total permit price compared with the year before, including the diesel surcharge.
Example 2 (Audi A1 1L 2017)
- The property is in Tier 2 because public transport links are not as good as Tier 1 but better that Tier 3 areas. The zone is only enforced for part of the day, resulting in the base change being lower that other areas.
- The vehicle also emits only 97 g/km CO2 emissions and is in band E of the government's tax bands and liable for a £90 permit charge.
- In this example the car is manufactured in 2017 with a Euro rating of 6, therefore not liable to the £150 ULEZ based charge.
- Total charge £90. This is £20 cheaper than the previous permit price
Example 3 (Ford Fiesta 1L 2019)
- The property is in Tier 3 because it is no so well serves by public transport links and the zone is only enforced for part of the day, resulting in the base charge being lower that other areas.
- The vehicle only emits 113 g/km CO2 emissions and is in Band G of the government's tax bands and liable for a £75 permit change.
- In this example the car is a petrol manufactured before in 2019 with a Euro rating of 6. Therefore not liable to the £150 ULEZ based charge associated with NOx and PM emissions.
- Total charge £75.